This experiment was more of a joke but I also wanted to see how randomly varying low frequency impulses would be shaped while going through a mechanical spring. This is part of my current work to investigate the transformation of sound by spirits.

I found out that a spring adds reverb and a bandpass filtering to a signal going through it, much like the old reverb spirals for guitars back in the 70s.

As a source of impulses I used a self oscillating relay and connected a spring to the vibrating anchor. The other side of the spring was hooked into the mylar membrane of a cardboard tube.

Depending on the amount of mechanical 'bias' tension the spring behaved very different. Also the mechanical tension it imposed on the relay made the whole arrangement very agile. With some tensions I got different standing waves in the spring I assume and I could make it emit strong or very low sound.

After all the pk effect was minor compared to the roaring sound. In another recording I could isolate some voices at least perceivable without post processing but accompanied by strong sound.

I don't think I could make an ITC device with satisfying results from this setup but at least it was interesting how sound can be shaped by only applying mechanical means.

Bedanke.wav

Dankeschön.wav

Es geht.wav

Hier ist nichts neues.wav

I extracted the audio track from the video and could find some fairly good but short voices in it.

"Wir möchten mit Daniel sprechen" -> "We want to talk to Daniel": Wir möchten mit dem Daniel sprechen.mp3

"Mit der NASA" -> "With the NASA": Mit der NASA.mp3

"Lachen" -> "Laughter": Lachen.mp3

"Freiheit" -> "Freedom": Freiheit.mp3

This seems to be an english speaking voce but I could not understand the content. Maybe you can help?: English voice.mp3

3 hours ago, Andres Ramos said:

I didn't know that this effect is entangled with the ring modulator.

Ooops - My apologies Mr. Ramos.

My old age and mixing memories got me confused  😉

You are correct. I was thinking of a spring box which does do reverb.

Ring mod does the voice of Dr. Who's Dalek.  Exterminate - Exterminate  🙂

Springray.jpg

32 minutes ago, Arizona EVP said:

Ooops - My apologies Mr. Ramos.

My old age and mixing memories got me confused  😉

You are correct. I was thinking of a spring box which does do reverb.

Ring mod does the voice of Dr. Who's Dalek.  Exterminate - Exterminate  🙂

Springray.jpg

Now I understand. Thank you for clarifying this Ron!

10 hours ago, Andres Ramos said:

As a source of impulses I used a self oscillating relay and connected a spring to the vibrating anchor.

Great experiment Andres. I wonder if there would be better pk effect if the relay was pulsed to the timing of a word duration? It might not be possible with the long mechanical latency.

7 hours ago, Dr Jeffers said:

Great experiment Andres. I wonder if there would be better pk effect if the relay was pulsed to the timing of a word duration? It might not be possible with the long mechanical latency.

A very good idea Jeff. It would just mean to switch on and of the relay randomly since it oscillates by itself. I could try this by hand first to see what results come out before I make up my mind how to do this automatically. Do you have an idea for an analog circuit that produces random impulse with varying lengths? 

This device is somehow mysterious. I made more tests today with a different acoustic resonator. Basically not very satisfying since it resonates on a very low frequency, thus maybe a tube with decreased diameter and length would be better. I looked for voice at a point where I detected speech rhytm and really got two voices, however they have a very low frequency.

Voice.wav

Du misst.wav

Then I tuned the tension in the spring a bit and the output turned into a humming tone. After analyzing the recording I could faintly hear a slowly singing spirit like a monk singing a prayer.

This is the whole sequence: Singing voice.wav

Singing spirit.wav

I processed it a bit with moderate denoising but it didn't improve much:Singing spirit Processed.wav

The most clear part is at the end of this sequence:Nur im Regen.wav

More experiments today with a different tube I made from a tin can where I had cut off the bottom and glued in a membrane. Will put photos later. The device has different modes of oscillation. With a very low tension it emits something really close to a deep human voice. It seems to be my first successful realization of an artificial pharynx excited by glottal impulses. I never heard something comparable.

Gaga.wav

Du hast gleich den grossen.wav

Und ist gleich dein Lehrling.wav

I got some very excited messages from our friends. They said now we will kick of a revolution. We'll see.

Thanks Jeff. I am confident that there is more to come. I am working on a simple prototype now. Of course I could do some more optimization with the tube which is in fact a Helmholtz resonator, but I see that the careful setup of the interconnecting spring is the crucial factor and I want a setup where I can investigate all modes of operations specified by the spring tension most exactly.

Moreover this apparatus is very close to my vision of a machine built from occult but simple techniques, that does have that connection with the human soul  we already talked about.

My prototype of the "Honk" is finished. It works more or less as expected. here are some pictures

Fig.1: View on complete device

IMG_20210813_174749.jpg

The brown extension is the outer part of the resonance tube. On the left is a screw handle to adjust the tension of the spring.

Fig.2: Inner view

IMG_20210813_174808.jpg

Here you can see the screw with the knob on the left side. It's moving a block with the self oscillating relay on it. The spring conveyes the oscillations to the mylar membrane. You can see that the resonator is a drink can from lipton's ice tea 😄

First test gave me some good results depending on the tension adjustment.

Both audios where processed with slight automatic denoising in WavePad.

• Administrators

I admire your quick work, Andres. Impressive indeed. Happy to see you used almost 100% eco water. Perhaps you could come to Australia. Under my house is an unlimited supply of recyclable materials, even down to the silver flashing that was "kept in case" when we removed the fireplace.  (It is silver and heavy). My daughter was the DIY, and she must have got it from a sperm donor. He was a University-trained engineer. When Emma mentioned "my hoarding," I told her I considered it a precious asset or two - well, actually more than two for her future. 

As she was the major ecologist in our home, who wished we could go back to Amish values/living and regularly clean the sides of the roads we did on our walk, the apple, I can say, did not fall far from the tree, lol.

Thank you all for your kind comments! Yes, I learned to use 'waste' as a resource for materials in my childhood. My father taught me that. He was a skilful man who always produced solutions from thin air. He seldomly bought materials. I learned from him and found out that trash is a well of prefabricated tools that can be utilized in many ways, especially tin cans can serve as housings or containers for materials, all kind of electronic components can be recycled from old PCBs, all kind of wood like beams and boards serve as base material for mechanical setups a.s.o.

Despite the good results I came to the conclusion that a cardboard tube gave better results. Hence I will remove the tin can and replace it with cardboard tubes recycled from toilet paper 💩 or household cleaning paper. And I will prepare the tube for making it longer by stacking more tubes. This was a proposal from Jeff to find out the optimum tube length to reach a resonance as close as possible to the human pharynx.

5 hours ago, Karyn said:

I admire your quick work, Andres. Impressive indeed. Happy to see you used almost 100% eco water. Perhaps you could come to Australia. Under my house is an unlimited supply of recyclable materials, even down to the silver flashing that was "kept in case" when we removed the fireplace.  (It is silver and heavy). My daughter was the DIY, and she must have got it from a sperm donor. He was a University-trained engineer. When Emma mentioned "my hoarding," I told her I considered it a precious asset or two - well, actually more than two for her future. 

As she was the major ecologist in our home, who wished we could go back to Amish values/living and regularly clean the sides of the roads we did on our walk, the apple, I can say, did not fall far from the tree, lol.

I feel we will come back to this more conscious way of living our lives and managing our resources, just because we can't go on like this anymore. And I think Corona was the first milestone on this way. This virus was a punch in the face for global trade. Yesterday I looked for the postage to send a parcel to Canada. I read that Corona disrupted so much of the delivery chains that sending by air freight can't be provided anymore. The only way is delivering parcels as sea freight and this takes many weeks AND the postage is above 50€ for a 2kg parcel! Logistically we are back on our way to the middle ages. Soon we will start to consume less and to produce what we need more and more in our own countries again or import it from our direct neighborhood. It's the same with the holidays, more and more germans now are passing in their own country again and loving it.

20 hours ago, Dr Jeffers said:

This is a wonderful result, Andres. The speech rhythm is quite distinct. I'm envious of your ability to build prototype gizmos so quickly !

I trained myself to utilize every fraction of time I can grab for doing this work and if there is no time I still try to prepare the next step by providing the right tools, ordering material a.s.o. Sometimes there are just minutes I am using to quickly solder a cable or glue something together. It's proceedings in fragments.

I had to learn this because the physical plane is burying me in works and duties to keep me away from my ITC research. There you can learn who are the masters of this world and how they are trying to neutralize us.