Paranormal Experiments with Light

Andres Ramos

Abstract

I am an electronic engineer by profession and involved in instrumental transcommunication for three years. In the past 10 years I did some experiments with light. Specifically I was investigating different light sources for modulations that could be made audible by a simple setup made of a phototransistor and an amplifier. By the end of the year 2021 I decided to repeat those investigations upon the light coming from the sky, especially at dawn and at night (looking for possibly very low light intensities).

This report describes a series of experiments I did with different sources of light and my quest to identify the potential for psycho-kinetic modulation in it.

IMG_20220212_114139.thumb.jpg.abc506daee809471cc42e72d3ee8caf7.jpg

Introduction

Modulated light was always fascinating to me. The first experiments I started as a young boy when I discovered that ambient light contains hidden information, by just using a light dependent resistor and a simple transistor. My first encounter was the power line hum imprinted in every light source we use. However, very quickly I found out that TV-screens, monitors, control lamps, remote control LED’s and much more were emitting all sorts of different and often complex modulation patterns. In 2010 I designed the best modulated light receiver I had made so far. It found a place behind the windshield of my car and I drove around to sample as many audio recordings as I could. This way I recorded the sounds of head lights, street lamps, neon lamps, signs a.s.o. You can find some examples in the following.

Sound samples with modulated light from around 2010

Sound

Link

Sound from an external display on a bus

Sound from a LED car headlight

Beat of two interfering car headlights

Table 1: Examples for modulated light

It was at that time already when I first encountered a phenomenon I could not explain. It was an audible anomaly catched at a moment when no visible source of artificial light was around while I was driving down a country road at dawn.

Hear this:

This sound appeared to me like a bypassing U.F.O and  I couldn’t make any sense from it. As I said, back in that time I was not involved yet in the investigation of paranormal phenomena.

In the following chapter I will describe the circuit I used for my latest experiments in detail.

The SkySound light receiver

I named the device “SkySound” because I deliberately designed it for the investigation of light emissions coming from the sky. Paranormal phenomena and spirit voices gained in instrumental transcommunication are merely observed at night, so it was logical to create a device that could pick up those faint modulations also, if present at all.

The standard approach for receiving light with electronic components is the phototransistor. Basically this is a standard transistor with a transparent case. That way not only small electrical currents going into the base (control electrode) of the transistor are amplified but also light shining on the transistor substrate. These components are cheap, sensitive and easy to handle.

IMG_20220212_123314.jpg.5a98943c1f47668bda77f25c6bfcde1d.jpg

Fig.1: VT9112 phototransistor

In my experiments I used the VTT9112 phototransistor because I dragged a bunch of them from the trash can in the company I worked for, 20 years ago.

The following image shows the electronic circuit that will be explained in detail. If you are not interested in the electronic functions of this device you can skip this chapter safely. You don’t need to know the inner details to follow my descriptions of the anomaly itself in the later chapters.

1915480855_SkySoundV2.thumb.png.15faca6e99be3de7caa4ef1011805ea9.png

Fig.2: SkySound electronic schematic

The transistor marked as “T1” is the VTT9112 I already described. Instead of the classical load resistor in the emitter path I provided a special circuit made of T2/R1/R2/C9. This is a self-adjusting load that always holds the dc bias in the middle between the power supply voltage and ground to provide always the best output swing for T1. Moreover, it works as a high impedance load for T1 and thus ensures maximum output. Transistors T3 and T4 are used as standard emitter amplifier stages. They are pushing the amplitude level high enough for the circuit IC1 to work with. This circuit is an integrated preamplifier originally designed to pre-process microphone signals. It provides a compressor to limit signal overdrive and a noise gate. The noise gate is a circuit that suppresses signals below a certain threshold and amplifies everything above the threshold. In practice this is not a hard threshold. Moreover, the transmission characteristic is non-linear and, if carefully adjusted, can boost small fluctuations in the noise signal, exactly where the spirit voices are hiding. So in easy words, the noise gate is utilized to increase the so-called “psycho-kinesis modulation” (pk-modulation). However, I found out that this function requires very careful adjusted input levels. The pk-modulations in the signal output is enhanced slightly but the signal quality is not. Obviously the spectral compositions of the signal deteriorated slightly by using noise gating. The use of this feature is up to deeper scrutinization. The other components are used for the power supply of the circuits.

As I already said, my intention was to pick-up rather low intensities of light at night. Nevertheless, after my first tests I found out that the receiver should also be capable of handling bright light. the result was the above-described self-adjusting load.

The phototransistor has a very small area that is susceptible to light. To make it more susceptible without just raising the background noise the transistor generates, the optically susceptible area must be enlarged. Classical approaches are lenses or mirrors. I decided to build a small reflector funnel that directs every beam of light, entering the opening of the funnel, to the transistor.

IMG_20220212_114435.thumb.jpg.f2bd66edba002c394c65feda91ba942d.jpg

Fig. 3: The reflector funnel

I made the funnel from cardboard that is quite rigid and easy to cut. In total I made 4 triangular shaped planes, covered with reflecting foil and glued them together. At the bottom of the funnel I placed the electronic circuit with the phototransistor “looking” directly into the funnel. The opening of the funnel covers an area of 0.01 m2. Thus the optical area of the transistor of 1.96 10-5  m2 theoretically is enlarged by the factor 509. In practice this factor will be lower due to inevitable reflection losses. 

The casing for the electronic circuit was realized by pieces of double sided copper plated PCB material, soldered together. This way I obtained an optimal double shielding against electromagnetic interference.

IMG_20220212_114139.thumb.jpg.abc506daee809471cc42e72d3ee8caf7.jpg

Fig. 4: The completed SkySound receiver

I made a simple stand from wood with a joint to adjust the inclination of the receiver that looks much like the feeding horn of a satellite LNB receiver. The foot of the stand contained a magnet, so I could attach the whole receiver easily to a metal plate on the window sill.

I placed the receiver in my attic where it overlooks the surrounding area from a height of 12m. The inclination angle against the horizon is almost zero, making the receiver looking at the lower sky roughly at horizon level.

I connected the receiver to my Windows-10 Notebook with WIFI connection to my home router and used the application “butt” to stream the signal to the varanormal shoutcast server where it was relayed back as “Stream 4” which is reserved for my experiments.

Investigation results

I started my investigations by the end of 2021 and they are still ongoing. In the previous chapter I already described some of the  experiment parameters that I want to list here.

List of experiment parameters

Parameter

Value

Height of installation

12m

Inclination angle

0° (facing horizon)

Viewing angle of funnel

approx. 40° horiz. and vert.

Facing sky direction

North (0°)

Stream encoding

MP3 44.1 KHz

Coordinates of location (Google maps)

53.682491442051194, 9.668064790784461

Table 2: list of experiment parameters

General observations

I quickly observed some general characteristics of the received signals and the properties of the receiver. Basically the signal was very low at night and very strong at day. This is no surprise because more light causes more current and more current causes more noise in the transistor. This is a rule of thumb in the world of physics. The question is if there would be an additional amount of noise coming from the quality of the light from the sky and not its quantity. We keep this consideration aside for the moment.

In any case, the light caused huge signal level changes during sunset and sunrise that were remarkable.

Sunrise.thumb.jpg.a490b75669ad73590eea1e793a46568d.jpg

Fig.5: Signal level increase at sunrise from february 06-02-2022 (dd-mm-yyyy)

At the time I was doing my investigations the sun was rising around 07:45 CET (06:45 UTC). You can see very clearly the non-linear “trumpet” shaped signal rise taking place over a time period of 6 minutes.

Sunset.thumb.jpg.5b1eefa2db6cd57e5ab6454cb4567889.jpg

Fig.5: Signal level decrease at sunset from february 06-02-2022 (dd-mm-yyyy)

Sunset these days is around 17:45 CET (16:45 UTC). More or less you can see the sunrise characteristic going backwards in the image above.  The shape of the signal is not as beautiful as the “trumpet” at sunrise. You must take into account that clouds passing by and all kinds of precipitation are overmodulating the light from the sun.

I recorded and post processed the signals. What I found out was that especially at those transitional periods around dawn the signal contained a lot of spirit voices. At broad daylight there was heavy noise but low pk modulation and at night the signal level was too low for a reasonable signal gain.

For the post processing I used Wavepad (NCH). My standard procedures for signal processing were

• Adding reverb (500ms decay time, 75ms predelay, 50% diffusion, 0dB wet signal gain, -6dB dry signal gain)
  • -3 dB multiband noise gating
  • 20% auto spectral subtraction
  • signal normalization

I exported  some audio samples, processed with the methods listed above. Of course interpretation of the content of spirit messages is always subjective. Moreover every ITC researcher develops a kind of clairaudience based on the methods she or he is using. The result is that others often can not hear what she or he hears. If the evaluated samples do not have Class A quality they are often interpreted as pareidolia. Thus I won’t blame anyone for evaluating the following examples  this way.   

In order not to influence the reader's perception I provided my interpretation of the samples in a table to be found in the annex of this document. I just want to say that I identified the language as German.

Link to audio sample

SkySound-A1

SkySound-A2

SkySound-A3

SkySound-A4

SkySound-A5

Table 3: List of exported audio samples from initial  SkySound sessions

The Stream 4_13 event

At February 12, 2022 I was still lying in bed in the morning. It was Saturday and the sunrise had started around 07:45. At 08:17 I decided to switch on the streaming audio app “MR” on my smartphone and recorded the SkySound signal while listening to it with closed eyes. The recording app “MR” named it “Stream4_13”. After 11 seconds I suddenly heard strong bursts breaking through the noise. First it just appeared to me like a periodic interfering signal but then I recognized voice fragments  stronger than I ever heard them directly in noise.

1623054083_Stream4_13.thumb.jpg.f7d053fa0d8974cfedd48ce4d555719d.jpg

Fig.6: Envelope of raw signal at the Stream 4_13 event

After 8 minutes I stopped the recording and listened to the signal I had picked up. It was full of weird sounding voice breakthroughs. Post-processing of this signal was easily done because of the superior pk-modulation. I applied spectral subtraction based on a noise sample and what came out is visible on the next image.

293199790_Stream4_13-processed.thumb.jpg.e7825ba286de670cf32359e8342a0f7e.jpg

Fig.6: Envelope of  processed signal at the Stream 4_13 event

This processed audio contained surprisingly loud and partially clear messages overlayed by humming sounds.

Stream 4_13 audio samples

Raw signal

Processed signal

Table 4: Stream 4_13 recordings

I leave it up to the reader to make up his own mind upon the results. I evaluated them as most amazing.

The interpretation of the voice contents gave me the impression that the spirits had tried something to surprise me or they did something that even surprised themselves. I am not sure about this.

Investigation of other light sources

At the beginning of the previous chapter I already pointed out the question if the received noise is more a function of the light quantity coming from the sky or, at least partially, also a result of the quality, namely the spectral composition, of the light itself.

It is always good to have something to compare your results against to draw further conclusions. So I decided to stimulate the phototransistor with other light sources and to see what comes out. I replicated the SkySound circuit on a breadboard and attached different LED’s to the phototransistor that could be regulated in terms of their light intensity.

My first goal was to find out if different LED’s are producing different light intensities and noise characteristics under the same conditions. So I concluded I must operate the LED’s in a way that they are supplied with the same amount of power to make their outputs comparable.

Making recordings and evaluating and comparing the results in terms of pk-modulation was also part of the experiments. For the post processing of the recordings I used two different methods in NCH Wavepad.

Description of applied post processing methods in NCH Wavepad

Id

Method

Comments

• Adding reverb (500ms decay time, 75ms predelay, 50% diffusion, 0dB wet signal gain, -6dB dry signal gain)
  • -3 dB multiband noise gating
  • 20% auto spectral subtraction
  • signal normalization

This method is a compromise between denoising and the generation of artifacts as they are typical for software-based denoising algorithms.

As a result the signal integrity of the outcome is still acceptable but the resulting  pk-modulation is not at optimum.

• Spectral subtraction based on a grabbed noise sample
  • signal normalization

This method optimizes the pk-modulation. The downside is that the signal loses much of its original integrity. Nevertheless, voices can be identified easily in general by repeatedly listening to short sequences.

Table 5: Description of post processing methods

Experiments with a yellow LED

A yellow LED is a very rough approach to sunlight since it’s spectrum is limited and does not cover ultraviolet frequencies.

I ran the LED with a current of 4 mA. This is a very practical value that gives a reasonable amount of light while keeping the heat loss in the LED low. Because the SSM2167 circuit imposes variable amplification and audio compression on the received signal, I tapped the signal right before this stage (Pin 5 of SSM2167) to ensure the amplification of the signal is stable. The noise signal was measured with the RMS function on my oscilloscope.

Here are the values I measured.

Results gained from yellow LED

Parameter

Value

IF: LED current

4 mA

UF: Forward voltage on LED

1.9 V

Calculated input power (UF x IF)

7.6 mW

Noise level

36 mV

Table 6: Measurements with yellow LED

Then I made a recording of a 1 minute length of the noise signal. I could already hear the pk modulation as a faint voice burst on the noisy ground floor. 

Recordings made with yellow LED

Description

Link to audio file

Raw recording (MP3)

Recording post-processed by #1

Recording post-processed by #2

Table 7: Recordings made with yellow LED

The results are showing a fairly strong pk-modulation but rather poor voice quality.

Experiments with a ultraviolet LED

A UV LED shows a much higher spectrum of frequencies compared to yellow LED. Basically ultraviolet light is higher in energy too.

To make the results comparable to the ones I gained from the yellow LED I measured the forward voltage across the LED and recalculated the LED current so that the power consumption of the UV-LED would be identically compared to the yellow LED.

Here are the values I measured.

Results gained from yellow LED

Parameter

Value

IF: LED current

2.5 mA

UF: Forward voltage on LED

2.96 V

Calculated input power (UF x IF)

7.6 mW

Noise level

40 mV

Table 8: Measurements with UV-LED

You see that within some tolerance considerations the emitted noise signal is the same compared to the yellow LED

Then I made a recording of a 1 minute length of the noise signal with the UV-LED. My first impression was that it was not different from the yellow LED.

Recordings made with UV LED

Description

Link to audio file

Raw recording (MP3)

Recording post-processed by #1

Recording post-processed by #2

Table 9: Recordings made with UV-LED

Again the results are showing a fairly strong pk-modulation but rather poor voice quality.

My evaluation was that there is no substantial difference between the results obtained from a yellow and a ultraviolet LED. The logical conclusion is that the pk-modulation is not bound to the spectral composition of the light whether it is yellow, ultraviolet or sunlight from the sky.

Narrowing the focus

Another question that came up during my investigations was if the noise with this substantial amount of pk-modulation was a product of light at all. Phototransistors are producing noise not only from light shining on their substrate but also from any current that flows into the base lead of the transistor causing it to draw collector current.

That was easy to test. I disconnected the LED from the power supply and wired different resistors from the phototransistor base to the power supply starting from 680 K ohm up to 15 M ohm. There was almost no noise perceivable, especially not that quality of agile noise interspersed with cracks and bursts.

My conclusion was that for the pk-modulation to take place, the transistor needs light but of no special spectral composition. However I was aware that I did not take into account another crucial component, the SSM2167 circuit. Due to its non-linear behavior it imposes a substantial amount of transformation on the signal. I could not exclude that it could contribute to the observed effects.

In order to find an answer to this question I changed my experimental setup. According to my measurements the SSM2176 roughly added an amplification of 20 to the system. So, I forked the signal behind the preamplifier and routed it to the SSM2167 or another amplifier stage with an amplification of 20. Thus the resulting signal would always show the same level but one time processed by the SSM2167 and another time just amplified linearly without compression or noise gating.

Recordings made with UV LED and with/without SSM2167

Description

Link to audio file

Recording with SSM2167

Recording without SSM2167

Table 10: Recordings made with UV LED and with/without SSM2167

1423287378_UVwithSSM.jpg.5cf01e5dcba99cc2c0641cc085a79799.jpg              928115803_UVwithoutSSM_small.jpg.975e788ce7e59a04b7cc515d91d6152b.jpg

Fig.6: Signal without (left) and with (right) SSM1267

I think you can see that there is more modulation visible in the right image that shows the signal processed by the SSM2167. The sound characteristics of the recordings support this observation. The recording of the sample with SSM1267 involved contains some vast and abrupt level changes. These are due to adjustments I did on the potentiometers connected to the circuit and are not related to pk-modulation.

Obviously the non-linear behavior of the SSM1267 adds a substantial amount of pk-modulation to the signal while the question, if the processing this circuit does is amplifying the already present modulation or if the circuit itself is a door for pk-modulation itself, remains unanswered. Due to my experience every kind of signal transformation that affects the signal structure is a gate for pk-modulation.

Alternative post processing methods

So far the post processing methods I applied are standard methods from the signal enhancing software toolbox. One of the researchers in our Varanormal team developed a software that is based on AI algorithms and is able to outperform the classical denoising and filtering techniques under certain conditions. Because I already have the last version of this fantastic application installed I wanted to give it a try. In the following you can see the parameter settings I used.

ML-settings.jpg.7afb05c94fe6a35e1e1f00d5cbe2c417.jpg

Fig.7: Parameter settings for the machine learning algorithm

The parameters were carefully optimized by controlling the output by ear while always only changing one parameter. After reaching the optimum for every parameter the output level of the SkySound device was altered up and down to see if any more improvements could be made.

Basically I got a decoded signal that had all properties of the human voice especially in terms of rhythm. I really obtained just one continuously speaking voice instead of a bunch of parallel talking spirits like I got from earlier experiments.

Nevertheless the weird metrics of spirit voices remained . Often the pronunciation of syllables is unusual compared to human speech. Some phonemes are enlarged and other shorted unnaturally. I think this is due to the spectral material the spirits find in the signal entropy we give them to work with. They seem to try to put the right words in where these match the actual spectral composition and signal transitions they are observing.  However, very often the created vowels and consonants do not match the needed length to form normal speech and that is why the speech sounds so weird.

I extracted lots of samples I want to show here. Again you can find my interpretation of the messages in the annex.

Audio samples obtained from machine learning

Sample

Language

Sample-B1

German

Sample-B3

German

Sample-B6_E

English

Sample-B7_E

English

Sample-B9_E

English

Sample-B8_E

English

Sample-B9_E

German

Sample-B10

German

Sample-B12

German

Sample-B14

English

Sample-B21

German

Table 11: Audio samples extracted with machine learning algorithm

Final tests and new prototype

I did some more tests to support my theory about the origin of the pk-modulation. First I replaced the phototransistor with a light dependent resistor (LDR), a PTC (positive temperature coefficient resistor) and a CCR (carbon composition resistor). I used all these components in earlier ITC-experiments. The CCR showed a bit of pk-modulation but not as good as the phototransistor. Another important part of the circuit I identified to participate on the pk-effect is the self-adjusting transistor stage T2. It's original purpose is to adjust the receiver automatically with changing light conditions. Since working with an LED provides more or less constant light intensity there is theoretically no need for such a circuit. But for some reason it turned out that it adds-up substantially to the pk-effect. So I kept it.

At the end I optimized the usability of the SSM 2167 module. It worked very well by replacing the potentiometers for signal compression and noise gating by fix resistor values and do the adjustments only with the potentiometer to control the light intensity of the LED.

My findings were the base for a new prototype I made working with a phototransistor and a UV LED.

IMG_20220219_150736.thumb.jpg.31351c0fa53fe880ab826338677fad37.jpg

Fig.8: Breadboard layout of prototype

IMG_20220219_151226.thumb.jpg.27d3b7db252eb77c717f811aafd204ee.jpg

Fig.9: Working prototype

After making the breadboard layout and the final prototype I recognized they don’t behave identically. The finalized prototype showed large spikes with pk-modulation characteristics breaking through with high energy. They were literally bombshelling the noise gate of the SSM 2167 causing it to full open the gate at every spike that appeared like a small explosion. I could exclude statics and radio interference because the effect grew with the light intensity and at least appeared to me to have the same rhythm as the voices.

Sound example of the Prototype:

I processed this recording a bit with reverb and voice pitch. I think at least you should be able to identify a voice although it is so overdriven that you cannot understand it:

Conclusions

I think this paper is interesting because it does not show a linear and straightforward approach from an idea towards a realization. Instead you can see something that is very typical for the research work in ITC. You are starting with a certain idea or phenomenon to be investigated. While following this path by using scientific methods (experiments, documentation and conclusion) you finally see that the original question is not in your focus anymore. New questions are showing up and very quickly you are following a quest of a yet unknown goal. Someone else now is leading the path you are walking on and in the end you are given something that is not what you were looking for but maybe something even more precious.

I was looking for hidden modulations in the light from the sky but what I found was a combination of a noise source with an audio circuit that was designed for a totally different application. Working together they are creating the best quality of continuously speaking voices I ever was able to obtain.

Nevertheless there still is a chance that the light from the sky contains more magic than an ordinary LED may cause. At least I don't yet got a Stream4_13 event with a UV-diode. So maybe there is more to come.

For now, I just can say “Thank you” to the hereafter.

Annex

Audio identifier

Interpretation

Translation

SkySound-A1

“Hat Bedeutung gewaltig”

“Has tremendous impact”

SkySound-A2

“Wir sind schon alle”

“We are all here already”

SkySound-A3

“Du bereits unsere Achtung”

“You have our respect already”

SkySound-A4

“Versinken im Feuer”

“Drowning in fire”

SkySound-A5

“Fenster nun ist fertig”

“Window is ready now”

Table A1: Interpretation of audio samples in chapter “General observations”

Audio identifier

Interpretation

Translation

Sample-B1

“Mich hören jetzt noch andere reden”

“Now others can hear me too”

Sample-B3

“Nimmt die Freiheit”

“Takes freedom”

Sample-B6_E

“Harm merit”

N/A

Sample-B7_E

“More guess”

N/A

Sample-8B_E

“What a funny kid”

N/A

Sample-B9_E

“Manhatten”

Sample-B10

“Es sprechen Erwachten”

“The Awakened are talking”

Sample-B12

“Und ich war Magie”

“I was magic”

Sample-B14

“Und wir brauchen Netflix”

“And we need Netflix”

Sample-B21

“Kann er auch. Verhalten sich schwach”

“He can do too. They behave weak”

Sample-B21_E

“Merryful Crocket”

Table A2: Interpretation of audio samples in chapter “Alternative post processing methods”

Skysound Horn-1.jpg

Skysound Horn-2.jpg

UV without SSM.jpg

10 hours ago, Karyn said:

Awesome work there Andres.  I have not read all of it as of yet, thank you for the wonderful detail you go into, to make this a viable outcome for the future.

Thank you Karyn. I really appreciate your support. I know the article became very long. Originally I wrote it in Google docs as a technical research paper to be published externally (e.g. at Anabelas ITC journal or somewhere else). However, as I described, during the work on the experiments I observed the focus shifting away from skylight to any form of light and I became unsure if this unclear focus would affect the paper's acceptance potential.

So I decided to publish it here at first as an experiment with ongoing research.

Thank you Jeff! So great to read your technical comments and evaluation here. That makes me think a lot too and you opened a new perspective to me. If I got you right then the main source of the pk- modulation could be the SSM2167. I supposed the same but as I wrote I was unsure if the pk-modulation comes from itself or if it just amplifies the pk from the phototransistor.

What you are suggesting is that the non-linear transfer characteristic of the SSM2167 is the motor for the pk-effect but the varying amplitude level of the noise signal from the phototransistor is the fuel.

This is a new perspective because I always saw the phototransistor as an entropy source, which it actually is, but the point could rather be the varying amplitude and not the entropy in first line.

I observed what you described with strong pk-effects coming from the scratching sounds of turned potentiometers. Last year this was the reason why I made experiments with a rotating graphite drum and electrodes touching it.

This morning I analyzed the signal from the SkySound receiver again. I elevated the inclination a bit and wanted to investigate the change in the signal. I heard, like in the recordings before, that there is a layer of strong impulses above the noise with varying distances, but not much varying in total, and I could hear that the voices were forming along with these impulses. It seems like every time an impulse raises, a small fragment of an allophone comes through much like in a sampling process. This is supporting your hypothesis of varying amplitudes, what impulses actually are, and the non-linearity of the receiver.

If we push your thoughts further it could be possible to gain spirit voices from trains of impulses (the good old NE555) and an SSM2167 without using entropy at all? This could be a game changer, Jeff!

• 3 weeks later...

A recording from today showed long bursts of spirit voices again.

IMG_20220308_193819.thumb.jpg.cf2623d63addd5abd958cc74a7a829dc.jpg

What is weird is that there is an underlying burst rhythm of roughly 20 Hz. It seems that with this varying frequency a gate opens and closes very quick just letting pass voice fragments more or less like a chopper.

I post processed a sequence with reverb, noise gating and voice pitch.

You hear the voices are very strong! Those bursts are showing up at sunrise and sunset mostly. It seems they do not appear if I am targeting the sky directly. However if the funnel is in horizontal alignment this pattern appears. I don't know why.

Thank you for your comments Jeff. This is true. However with your gyrating tuning the chopping comes from the rf energy broadcasted by the radio stations if your tuning runs over their frequency.

Regarding the phototransistor in my receiver I have no idea where these impulses come from. I observed them too in the setup working with constant LED light. Maybe it is an oscillation of the self adjusting load for the phototransistor.

• 2 weeks later...

For the last two weeks I had changed the alignment of the SkySound funnel. I made it because there were chances that aurora borealis could have shown up in our region due to a huge CME of the sun around the 12th of this month. Sadly there was no aurora but I could use this opportunity to compare the results of the SkySound signal with different alignments again.

This is an expample of the sound that I got on a regular base if the light funnel was targeting the sky in an elevation angle of about 30°. With this elevation there are no houses, buildings or man made light sources in focus, just the pure sky. I recorded this session at sunrise between 06:00 and 07:00 AM.

Full recording from Sky with 30° elevation angle

You don't need to listen to the whole recording because there is nothing in it apart from noise. Just hear this excerpt.

You will here an agile form of white noise without or with only very little pk modulation

At 2022-03-20 I changed the elevation angle bacl to 0°, so that is is focusing the horizon. With this position the funnel covers also houses and buildings, the lake in the park nearby and street lights.

Full recording from horizon with 0° elevation angle

To keep things short I again provide an excerpt here.

You will hear that the noise is interspersed with static and bursts and there is an underlying rhythm with impulses of a very low frequency like a rhythmic rattling. Logically my first thought that this only can be caused by the artificial light sources like street lamps or lighting in the buildings. To prove this I made a recording before sunrise with the same funnel position at 0°.

Recording before sunrise

Most amazingly you just hear a very low and faint noise. Noch cracks, noo static and no rattling rythm. If the source of these factors were artificial light it must be present also before sunset and with a much higher level before the daylight signals override the artificial light sources.

But there is nothing. So I can exclude the man made light sources as the cause for the observed phenomenon. It seems that there are two diferent qualities of light. One coming more from the vertical alignment that contains no or just a bit pk modulation. And then there is another horizinatl, more earth near component that contains rhytmic static and pk muodulation.

I have no idea why.

Another quick test this morning confirmed my observations. During sunrise I went up into my attic and slowly tilted the light funnel up and down between 0° and 30°.

IMG_20220321_190800.thumb.jpg.66c607a296c6216ee8eef09cf2e490fc.jpg

The parts with the lower level are recorded with 0° elevation. You can clearly hear the crackling static rhythm.

In the signal parts with higher levels (recorded with 30° elevation) just show pure white noise.

On 3/24/2022 at 2:11 AM, Keith J. Clark said:

You guys...this is some amazing stuff! I'm able to make out some of the audio.

If either of you wants to live stream or have me set you up with live filtering just let me know in a private message or email 🙂

good work!

Thanks Keith. The SkySound is running continuously on Stream 4. You can use it for whatever you want

OTH radar could be an explanation. I that case the mirror plating in the funnel would act as a reflector for HF-waves focusing the energy on the phototransistor.  However I doubt this because the impulses quickly fade out by elevating the funnel. Moreover the funnel is facing north and not east. Another fact is that I got those impulses also with LED-light on a phototransistor although not always. Those impulses remains a mystery to me. In any case the spirits seem to use it for their purpose wherever they come from.

25 minutes ago, Keith J. Clark said:

Perfect Andres, I'll hook something up tonight with it. I hear it's nice and loud at the moment. 

Yeah. Please be aware the signal will fade away here at night when there is no light. That is daytime in Florida. The most interesting periods are around sunrise and sunset that are around 06:00 am - 07:00 am and 18:00 pm - 19:00 pm local time.