I use a microphone for recording spirit voices that works very well.

IMG_20200930_145356.thumb.jpg.0885955f604610df7e35d5dd8faf3cf9.jpg

It contains a standard electret condenser microphone capsule and an adjustable preamplifier.

I have the idea of making two of them each feeding one channel of a stereo signal. The question is, if we would operate both microphones with some background noise close together, will we get the same voices on both channels?

@Andres Ramos I'm really liking this idea of just a microphone and then ways to adjust. That is exactly what I've been working on, but I thought I needed some form of software. The voices you captured were so clear. 

I'm going to test this out soon with the device I put together and then a microphone I have that didn't work for other uses. This microphone picked up too much vs just my voice, but could work perfectly for what I'm attempting to do (pick up spirit voices and even whispers). In an attempt to get real time conversations going vs recording and then playing back or having to filter through another program. 

I'll share what I've put together, when I have a little more time (off to work but then after I can take pictures and explain what I've put together). I might need to add more to it, but so far it's worked to plug other software into it. I just haven't fully trusted the software I've used and using a microphone seems so much better and with less interference. I'm excited to test this out!

3 hours ago, Andres Ramos said:

Very cool Marie! I appreciate your enthusiasm very much. Reach out for me if you need ANY help! For the start just use what you have at hand. What software do you use?

I have used some apps and other software from outside sources, but no one that I know created any of them. There's a lot of other voices, noises, etc that just don't indicate whether it's working as accurately as I wish. I pick up specific things but with everything else mixed it, it's tough to trust it fully. Eliminating these issues makes more sense to me and if this microphone works, I'm going to be thrilled. 

I'm on a break from work but when I get home I'm going to test it out. My only question right now is how to record the results. I'd like to build something connected that will do clean recording for sharing and playing back. My results will happen right on the device... I've got a video camera, a voice recorder, but I'm sure there's a better method I haven't thought of yet.

On 3/2/2022 at 9:54 PM, Marie said:

@Andres Ramos how do you record your clips? 

Hi Marie, I just use an audio editor on my computer. Earlier I used Audacity. It's still fantastic but now is owned by a russian company who implemented trackers and spy tools in it.

Actually I am using NCH WavePad that works very well. But I also got good results with a digital voice recorders from Panasonic and Sony. I just prefer recording on the computer because then I can do post processing very easily.

26 minutes ago, Andres Ramos said:

Hi Marie, I just use an audio editor on my computer. Earlier I used Audacity. It's still fantastic but now is owned by a russian company who implemented trackers and spy tools in it.

Actually I am using NCH WavePad that works very well. But I also got good results with a digital voice recorders from Panasonic and Sony. I just prefer recording on the computer because then I can do post processing very easily.

I've been running tests with an inexpensive video camera and digital voice recorder (Olympus brand that I'm very happy with) as I'd like to be able to move with whatever I'm using (to different locations vs stationary).

It's interesting what each will pick up vs the other. I also use wavepad on my computer to play back files. I'd like to hook up a storage device, maybe within the device I'm using, to use an SD card to record the results directly, but I'm not there just yet. 

• 1 year later...

I have recorded using multiple phones at the same time.  Results are as follows:

Disembodied voices - Locational.  Two phones approximately 10 -15 feet away from each other.  The voice, which seemed to emanate from the location between our two phones in real time, sounded on playback that it was clearly closer to one phone than the other.

EVP - We used three phones, one on the ground, one held in hand (3 feet away), the third held by a second party approximately five feet away.  All three phones captured the same EVP response at about the same volume level during a windy day in a graveyard.  

Make of those results what you will.  I am curious to experiment with multiple 'types' of microphones at once, to see if there is much of a difference.  I am still curious though, if the other side can speak out loud (at times), than why don't they do it all the time, instead of EVP's?  Such a mystery.