Sinewave Modulation

• Administrators

Hello everyone. Here's a clip from my latest experiment.

I'm continuing to find that balancing tones is crucial to the right modulation....and when viewed in the right frame of reference you can actually see the modulation in Adobe Audition. 

My question to the educated people here...if I say I have one or 2 audio tones balanced - and this is the core signal....(with spirit already amplifying it) ...what would you modulate it against to make it sound more human? 

The modulation effect still challenges me. I thought the modulation frequency had to be 3 or 4 times the base frequency. Maybe Im going at it backwards. So in these experiments I'm still investigating what exactly is causing the modulation.

Any ideas how to take a fundamental frequency and modulate it to get fuller voice?

Hi Keith,

This is interesting.

The tones you have are pk amplitude modulated with what sounds to be voice inflections, and this shows that you have a strong pk action but the carrier (tones) are not that suitable for being modulated to produce voice, as there is insufficient vocal spectra for voices to be created from them and heard easily, and hence your resultant voice artifacts are thin sounding and spectrally deficient.  In 'proper' amplitude modulation, the carrier (tones) should be many times more in frequency than the modulation impressed upon it, but in the case of pk 'modulation', the process is more akin to spectral contouring, where a direct shaping of carrier spectra occurs (if the carrier spectra is within the speech band). As Andres has mentioned below, perhaps you can get clearer output if the carrier has more bandwidth rather than being just tones. Can you put reversed or granulated speech through your process instead?

I have converted your video to mp3 and processed it in Wavepad to make the modulation more clear. Have a listen to the result Ive attached.

JEFF

• Administrators
On 11/7/2021 at 10:13 PM, Dr Jeffers said:

Hi Keith,

This is interesting.

The tones you have are pk amplitude modulated with what sounds to be voice inflections, and this shows that you have a strong pk action but the carrier (tones) are not that suitable for being modulated to produce voice, as there is insufficient vocal spectra for voices to be created from them and heard easily, and hence your resultant voice artifacts are thin sounding and spectrally deficient.  In 'proper' amplitude modulation, the carrier (tones) should be many times more in frequency than the modulation impressed upon it, but in the case of pk 'modulation', the process is more akin to spectral contouring, where a direct shaping of carrier spectra occurs (if the carrier spectra is within the speech band). As Andres has mentioned below, perhaps you can get clearer output if the carrier has more bandwidth rather than being just tones. Can you put reversed or granulated speech through your process instead?

I have converted your video to mp3 and processed it in Wavepad to make the modulation more clear. Have a listen to the result Ive attached.

JEFF

Thanks Jeff! Sample is great. I haven't gotten around to spending enough time on varying voice samples - the reversed speech is a good idea.

I might have to run it through a combfilter to provide the right spectra.  

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Andres Ramos said:

Very good pk effect Keith! Can you try to multiply the signal with white or pink noise?

Hi Andres. Yes, I did try that. It works sometimes, but only when the spectra is already there, as Jeff pointed out.

I've got a super strong signal, sinewaves balanced seems to be key. My next step is to determine if it's what I input or the process itself that is so strong. Then I can work on expanding the voice. Wish the program took live audio, that would speed up the process considerably.