Jump to content

The Coherer Mill

Recommended Posts

From my past experiments with the coherer and my experiences with the plastic foil crumpling, I had the thought of looking at the coherer as a component which is capable of opening and closing thousands of little electrical switches simultaneously. If we are using filings from nickel or iron than those may be excited by a rotating magnetic field and are causing permanent switching of electrical current. I made a video from the prototype I made and exported some samples. Intelligibility still is not good despite I can decipher them fairly good if I listen to them in a loop. This technique generates almost noise free voices with a very good signal to noise ratio, though sadly still distorted.


Messung bin dafür bereit.mp3 Sind mehrere Gruppen dabei.mp3 Sowas fehlt hier noch.mp3 Treibhaus sie kopieren.mp3 Trump wir werden Tageslicht.mp3 Wettlauf.mp3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today i widened the scope of the coherer mill experiment and tested different distances between magnet and coherer as well as decreasing the coherer bias. The exported samples sound better with less post processing. Apart from one sample I made them in a way that the original and unprocessed sample is at the beginning and the processed version  right behind it after a small pause.

Brauchst uns jetzt.mp3 -> "You need our help now"

Hört mich Andres.mp3 -> "Andres can hear me"

Ein Hering.mp3 -> "A hering"

Väter.mp3 -> "We are fathers"

Werden wir verbessern.mp3 -> "We will improve"


One problem I identified is the vibration of the motor gear. This mechanical movement is shaking the coherer filings and adding unwanted noise. I am thinking about an improved mechanical setup with a brushless 230V ac motor suspended on damping elements. Another idea would be a simple mechanical setup with just a crank handle. This way the user could impose his own rhythm on the rotation of the magnet up to a certain limit.

Another thing to test is if the signal improves by more or less filings or in other words more or less space for them to move. Providing a coherer assembly made with one electrode working as an adjustable piston in a plexiglas tube could be an easy approach.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Coherer Mill.jpg

Some more refinements to the mechanical assembly today. I replaced the glass tube by a piece of transparent hose with brass screws as electrodes. Brass is non-magnetic thus the nickel filings don't "stick" to the electrodes. Besides, the plastic hose is much easier to work with compared to glass. Yesterday I broke the glass tube and cut my fingers. Bloody mess!

The rotating magnets themselves are now small neodynium disk magnets fitting into plexiglass rods. These rods themselves have magnets to fix them on the rotating beam. This way the magnets can be placed freely around the coherer.

Yesterday in my first test, still with the glass tube coherer, I got encouraging messages from the spirits. They said they would be ready today for tests and I should count on them. Good to have a family and friends over there!

In my tests from today I got lots of more positive feedbacks from them although the adding of white noise did not prove as substantial. After playing around with the dials for a while I turned the white noise down to zero without getting results of lesser quality.

Another interesting thing I discovered was that the coherer produced noise even without a bias! That was strange and amazing since without a current the only source of the noise must have come from the rotating magnets and their acting on the filings. I guess that it's kind of an induction process taking place here. However the produced noise had no better quality than all the other ones I have tested in the last two years. By denoising it I found the usual croaking voices I already knew since my experiments with zincite. So nothing special here.

The results of the coherer signals are a mix of spikes and noise with more spikes than noise. The only way to process those signals for me so far is using Paulstretch in Audacity which is not the best but the only means to improve the signal currently. Hoping for a better algorithm in the future.

Here are some of my results from today.


In fact this was a very cool kind of transdimensional cooperation. I am infinitely grateful to my otherworldly friends for these experiences. May you all be blessed with love my family members.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I did another test today with Michael Lee's ML application that is optimized for impulses. I got some very good results from it combined with the coherer mill.

I got lots of more message with a content around an "Everything is very hard" context. Remarkably the spirits adressed that Mrs. Merkel is suffering from stress, what obviously is true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.