SPIRITUALISM ON TRIAL

image.png.d072da3bb69f608a90a27b8b6d859808.png

When Sol Bloom introduced H.R. 8989 to the Ninety-sixth U.S. Congress in 1926, he had no idea it would start a firestorm. Bloom was an Orthodox Jewish American from New York who began as an entertainer and sheet music publisher. He served his first term in the House of Representatives in 1923. Three years later, his bill was supposed to make fortunetelling a crime punishable by up to a $250 fine and/or six months in jail within the capital district.  

When hearings started, Bloom invited Harry Houdini to testify before the committee. As someone who saw Spiritualism as a “curse,” Houdini attempted to seize control of the hearings and put Spiritualism on trial. Recognizing that Spiritualism might be criminalized, Spiritualists attended the proceedings. Two women stepped up to defend the religion, Dr. Jane B. Coates and astrologer Madame Marcia Champney.

Jane B. Coates was born in Maryland in 1872 to Robert and Mary Boarman.  She married Leonard R. Coates, a broker in the iron and steel industry in 1889. They were well to do, owned their own home free of a mortgage and employed three servants. During their marriage, they had six children and Leonard, who was 13 years older than Jane, died before 1920. Jane moved to Washington, DC with her children and was involved with manufacturing patients in the medical industry. By 1926, she was minister of the Spiritualist Church of America.

Madame Marcia Champney was a crystal ball reader, clairvoyant, tarot card and horoscope reader for the rich and powerful. On Thursdays, she entertained Supreme Court justices, congressmen, Senator’s wives, and socialites.

The hearings began February 26th and resumed in May for three additional days. As the meetings continued, Coates said, “I have saved many young girls from marrying the wrong man and have kept others from going wrong. My religion goes back to Jesus Christ. Houdini does not know I am a Christian.”

Madame Marcia added: “There are many men in the Senate and House who consult me regularly.”

Debate turned to pandemonium. The sessions were interrupted by attacks and constant outbursts. The mediums called Houdini a liar and traducer, while he presented reams of unsubstantiated evidence. During breaks there were scuffles in the hallways. The police were called many times.

In a dramatic climax, Houdini waved around an envelope of $10,000 in cash asking the mediums to prove their abilities. “This is my answer to anything they say. If they can, here is the money.”

“That money belongs to me,” Madame Marcia said. She claimed to have foreseen both Warren G. Harding’s election and his death. Madame Marcia was not awarded the cash, but during the hearing she made another prediction. Houdini would be dead by November.

The Spiritualists successfully defended themselves at the hearing, and H.R. 8989 did not pass. Houdini perished under mysterious circumstances on October 31, 1926.

Additional reading:

Puglionesi, Alicia. “In 1926, Houdini Spent 4 Days Shaming Congress for Being in Thrall to Fortune-Tellers.” Atlas Obscura, October 11, 2016,

Young, Jeremy C. “Empowering Passivity: Women Spiritualist, Houdini, and the 1926 Fortune Telling Hearing.” Journal of Social History, Vol. 48, no. 2, 2014

Photo: During the trial, Houdini and Senator Capper, mediums behind them.