Tom Butler on Etheric Studies

Etheric Studies

Tom Butler, 2019

Abstract

The use of commonly agreed on terminology helps us communicate our interests. My focus is on the study of the nature of reality, our nature and our relationship with reality. While that is generally the definition of metaphysics, the term is commonly used to address the physical universe. To be clear, then, it is probably better to identify our interest as survival metaphysics. Survival metaphysics is a useful way to be more specific, but survival implies this lifetime is our primary existence, which is a body-centric perspective. The study of the greater reality and the aspect of who we are which existed before, exists during and will exist after this lifetime, requires an immortal personality-centric perspective. This essay explains the logic in using Etheric Studies as a term to identify the metaphysical study of reality from the perspective of our immortal personality.

Please note that this is a rewrite of the About Etheric Studies (1) web page. The more I learn about the greater reality, the more I realize we must be specific about our study.It is for me to explain what I have learned.It is for you to ask questions and offer your perspective.It is for us to further this understanding.

Etheric

First, it is necessary to explain why I am using etheric to describe the greater reality. I know this because you might be surprised at how many well-educated people think etheric is a term used only by New Agers, mystics and astrologers .I suspect that everything I say after mentioning etheric to such intellectuals is discounted as New Ager babble.

My use of etheric is related to its historic use. According to Gale Encyclopedia of Occultism & Parapsychology, (2) 

Ether 

is:

Late nineteenth-century hypothesis suggested by physicists as a means of accounting for the propagation of lightas a wave motion through otherwise empty space. The idea of ether meshed with the teachings of the mesmeristsand Theosophists, who spoke of subtle substructures of matter sometimes referred to as koilon all-pervading, filling all space, and interpenetrating all matter.

(Page 520)

Ether 

is defined in the WordWeb Dictionary as:

Any of a class of organic compounds that have two hydrocarbon groups linked by an oxygen atom2.

A medium that was once supposed to fill all space and to support the propagation of electromagnetic waves3.

A colorless volatile highly inflammable liquid formerly used as an inhalation anesthetic4.

[archaic] The fifth and highest element after air and earth and fire and water; was believed to be the substance composing all heavenlybodies

Of course, I am using definitions 2 and 4, but with modifications. I ask you to be mindful of the difference between body-centric perspective (experiencing the world as if you are your human) and immortal personality-centric perspective (experiencing the world through the eyes of our avatar but maintaining a nonphysical point of view) which is discussed below. With that in mind, the WordWeb definitions are written from the body-centric perspective.  

Definition 2 is correct if we substitute thought for electromagnetic waves.

Definition 4 is correct except that the etheric is not an element.  More correctly, elements are treated as expressions of thought.  To read more https://www.academia.edu/38274668/Etheric_Studies_pdf?email_work_card=thumbnail

Note: I have to the best of my ability tried to format this partial article by spacing however no changes to the text was made and errors of spelling and grammar were not corrected.