Thank You! (Another Philosophy Sidebar) January 22

Thank You! (Another Philosophy Sidebar)

Posted on 2022 January 16 by Mark Macy

Note: There’s been a sudden increase in subscribers and readers since I posted the previous article about the fire that destroyed our neighborhood. I’d like to start by mentioning to the newcomers that new articles will still be coming in the future, but maybe not as often for the next few months. But, then, most of the articles here are as “fresh” as when they were first posted on the site, since it’s not a site that follows news, fashions, and trends. I’d recommend that now and then you might read an article, starting with the most recent articles in this Philosophy series, starting with #12, then 11, 10, 9, and so on… until your interest wanes (maybe about the time you get to the “Humor” article https://s0.wp.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/wpcom-smileys/twemoji/2/svg/1f642.svg ).Then just search through the table of contents to find something of interest. The most recent articles are listed on the right side of every page. (If you’re on a mobile device you might need to select “desktop site” from the 3 dots at the top right of the page, in order to see the list of recent posts.) Meanwhile, welcome to this website.

In the past two weeks Regina and I have been deeply moved by the kindness and generosity of hundreds of friends, family, readers, afterlife researchers, and strangers. (The friends definitely include you—Jason & Kim—and the crucial support you gave us in a particularly difficult time.)

Since the fire, we’ve gotten so much unexpected help from people that Regina and I feel like James Stewart and Donna Reed at the end of It’s a Wonderful Life… when they’d lost everything, then friends came to the rescue.

(The video clip is a bit of an exaggeration in our case, but we thought it was funny and moving, and it does reflect our feeling of being surrounded by friends and loved ones.)

Regina reminded me this morning that “detaching from material things”—a main theme of the previous article—is just half the mission of a life on Earth. The other half is “being present in the moment” and having gratitude for the moment. That’s become clear to me in the past two weeks.

So this is just a brief message to you all: We love and appreciate (and thank) you more than you know.

Mark & Regina