These are great results Andres. The substitution of a loudspeaker is a great idea. It is interesting to view the device as components that interact. Ignoring the spring for a moment, the diaphragm is a mechanical loading of the loudspeaker, and creates a sharp amount of bandpass filtering, as well as replicating cone movement. The spring also provides bandpass filtering, as well as a phase delay and reverb via mechanical inertia. The spring has it seems two actions, one forwards in modifying the diaphragm sound, and the other backwards in modifying / damping the excursion of the loudspeaker cone. This dual action of the spring seems to be the secret to the phenomena here, and its mysterious ability to sustain complex standing waves. I wonder therefore if the action of the spring could be emulated electronically?

The thin sounding nature and high pitch of the resultant voices seems to indicate to me that the resonant frequency of the diaphragm is perhaps too high, and as it is under tight tension - has a tight bandpass / peaky, so maybe a larger diameter less tense diaphragm would be good here? A less rigid diaphragm might not be possible I guess, due to the spring tension needed, etc.

I have put your file into wavepad and massaged it a bit. It is attached.

Wehavebeenallbuiltwiththestars edited.mp3

• Administrators

Fascinating how the content changes if you apply other processing methods! Now I hear "Geh nach auf dem Wege",  what means "Follow the way".

Your description of the complexity of the interaction of the mechanical parts is very true. I made some attempts today to replace the components by electronic circuits like reverb but it doesn't work. There is something very special going on between loudspeaker/relay, spring and diaphragm. Will try two ways now, first applying a bigger diaphragm and a softer spring with the speaker. Second replacing the self oscillating relay by one without self oscillation that gets excited by the NE555 impulses. This will be a competition between relay and loudspeaker.

• Administrators

The last days I spent fathoming the possible improvements for the VISPRE. I tried,

• Using a loudspeaker as a replacement for the relay
  • Replacing the oscillating relay by a non-oscillating
  • Using the neon lamp to trigger electronically generated trains of impulses with adjustable pitch
  • Elongating very short impulses in the above mentioned setup
  • Adding reverb electronically

In the end I really was pleased to see that all those ideas made the result worse and not better. So, in the end the magic is in the mechanical parts and the oscillation patterns they are generating. I am very pleased that a Edison-style technique outperforms all the electronic stuff.

I have put the VISPRE back into it's original state again. The only thing I added is to another softer spring in series to the original one. It really would be an improvement to make a small hook at the diaphragm in order to connect different springs.

IMG_20211011_112504.thumb.jpg.a561ab7d5b559324e75434df2d59b4d0.jpg

With the softer spring the signal has more reverb and thus has a more richfull sound.

Another improvement is in the setup. It turned out to be favorable to let the acoustical waves being reflected from a wall and to catch this signal with a microphone. Therefor I implemented an electret condenser microphone beneath the resonating tube facing outside.

IMG_20211011_112451.thumb.jpg.fd17f7324dbc8f3855a3f398ddd39adc.jpg

I routed the signal through the Lingua, recorded it in WavePad and applied a high-pass filter (250Hz 6dB) and 20% denoising (auto spectral substraction). Hear the following audio clips. A person named "Ben" was mentioned multiple times.

I think a new test setup would be appropriate to optimize diaphragm diameter and spring type.

Addendum: The new recordings with increased lingua processing level and the new spring the results are really good. Got a lot of messages in bavarian dialect.

The mechanical oscillations are the only ones that are generating this snaring sounds the spirits use to make formants from.

• Administrators

With much help from Michael I managed to set up his Spirit Communicator programm on my PC today. Thank you so much for this Michael Lee!

It works great! Basically I get a stream of continous voices but voices still are is not optimized and dull due to the low frequencies in the signal. Here some exports:

Here is the complete recording: ML 2021-10-12.mp3

These are really great clips Andres. I dont know what this program does - is it a clean up for existing clips, or does it generate its own content? Im sure a lot of others would want to try this out if a method of install is available - including me.

The program has a few machine learning models to reverse things like additive noise, and quantization artifacts. Also, it has a primitive "speech model" that adds formants it finds to a "buzzing" glottal pulse. The machine learning models were trained on a 30 min speech of Gen. David Petraeus speaking to Congress, so it's funny when German is trying to be spoken through it.

We'll try to get you "hooked up" with the program. It requires a good CPU. It requires a few steps to install, including Anaconda or Miniconda (A Python environment), and may take about 5-10 GB of disk space - not because my program is particularly large, it's just that Python and end-users don't mix 😞

• Administrators

Yes Jeff, I talked to Michael Lee yesterday and said I want to help him to promote this great piece of sw-engineering he made. I mean this is a professional tool especially designed for making spirit voices audible that are deeply buried in interference and noise you get for free!

The setup is a little complicated but not that hard to do. I will write a small how-to as a one-pager how to do it and later I will make a video too and share it.

@Michael LeeMaybe you can give me some descriptions for the user parameter settings represented by all those sliders. Then I would work that into my one-pager. I also would like to put your Spirit-Communicator files as an zip archive into the sw section together with my "manual". Would that be ok?

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Dr Jeffers said:

Thank you Andres, and Michael, for offering to help get your software available to use. I look forward to trying it out. A good idea Andres, to write a how-to document. It will make it so much easier.

Michael Lee already wrote a small manual about the parameter settings. I can add an installation guide and this should be enough for a start. We now need to find a place in the forum where we can put the SW for download and everyone can find it.

• Administrators

I accidentally discovered another mode. At some point the neon lamp generated a steady sequence of impulses like a square wave. By listening to this signal through the Lingua I heard faint voices.

The VISPRE seems to provide endless modifications of operating modes. Then I used it with the two springs and the springs  stretched up to the point where the relay oscillations were short before tapering off. The signals are distorted but noise free.

Wer ist bitte der nächste Pole.wav

• Administrators

And here is the rest from today. Incredible results gained from an almost squelched relay and the Lingua. The lingua adjustment is very delicate and depends heavily on the audio level. A slightly decreased level and the lingua wipes out the signal, a little too much and the relay impulses come through as heavy pounding. If the signsl is in-between the results are amazing! The signal level sensitivity reminds me of Keith's experiments with Krisp.

Alte hat sie blöd.wav Artur ist beinah platt.wav Blieb in Deutschland.wav Dein Vater macht die Marter.wav Deine Löschung.wav Erleide den Herztod.wav Gehalt kommt.wav Merkels Erbildung ertönt.wav Mir fehlt sowohl die Hoffnung.wav Werde tagen.wav

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Dr Jeffers said:

Amazing results Andres. The voices have depth and clarity. You have a great process happening here with the present setup.

Yes Jeff and I am still curious where the limit is. I feel this technology still isn't fully exploited.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

New horizons are opening up. As a spin-off from the latest research Jeff and I did with the Spica circuit, I was able now to configure it to emitt impulses mimicking the rhythm of human speech.

Thus, basically it now does the same as the neon lamp in the current VISPRE design. If this really should work, the VISPRE electronic could become much simpler without the high voltage generator.

In this video you can hear and see (flickering LED) the speech impulses. Of course what you hear is NOT speech but if fed into the relay it could be the perfect sound food for the spirits.