Sonia Rinaldi ~ The Light Bridge version 4

6 minutes ago, Karyn said:

I am with you Lance, I am the sort of person who puts a hole through the wall to hang a photo, and yep ready schematic designs and maps is way out of my league.  But I am sure you and I are brilliant in other areas.  We used to have an ad for BP petroleum in Australia that ended with "BP, the quiet achiever"  I think we could slot in there well.

Very true Karyn 🙂

Edited by Lance Reed

7 minutes ago, Karyn said:

Wow that would be awesome indeed.

We will make it real. I see my role, or the role of everyone here who has specials skills in electronics, mechanics and software, also in the position of a "maker". You know I'm engineer by profession and engineers always want to create something, it's in our nature so to speak and in a way we can't resist this engineer instinct. I have been making "things" since my early childhood and am quite experienced in development, construction and fairly good in manufacturing. Moreover I have wonderful companions on my side, everyone with special skills to throw in, making us a team that really can rock the house, I think.

Why not using these skills for the benefit of the community? We all are a family somehow.🥰

1 hour ago, Dr Jeffers said:

Well said Andres. As a fellow engineer, I agree, its in our blood to design, create, innovate. What better field of research can there be than ITC to use the skills were born with ! 

I remember a song of Lady Gaga, even she is not my favorite musician, "I'm on the right track, baby I was born this way" 😃

• 4 weeks later...

I started with the breadboard layout of the light bridge today.

IMG_20210904_154253.thumb.jpg.6375e2aabb81dd4edf5de0059e4d2179.jpg

The following stages are up and running:

• power supply with virtual ground
  • Microphone preamplifier
  • external audio input
  • mixer

Here you can see the mixer output signal on the oscilloscope. It shows the mix of the microphone and the external audio signal ("Skyfall" perfomed by Adele)

IMG_20210904_154246.thumb.jpg.9fab58e081a4d7c778a1daef8cd6cd19.jpg

Next step will be the LED driver and the receiver unit. Then I will be ready for testing. I already optimized some component values by hand in the schematic but basically the design works as expected.

Sadly I am very occupied by my job, so I will continue next weekend, earliest.

11 hours ago, Dr Jeffers said:

Its exciting to see this take shape Andres. We all look forward to seeing how the finished product performs. Dont take your job too seriously, if you can possibly help it 😉.

What job do you mean, this one or the other one that brings me the money?🤣

I bought a solar cell driven garden lamp for 1€ at a discounter. The solar cell will be part of the light bridge.

IMG_20210908_165129.thumb.jpg.69aaa194c8de9238196700c417d3e436.jpg

I love to use household components for my design. There abundant and incredibly cheap.

I also can extract the small NiMH battery and a cool three color LED that changes the color automatically.

1 hour ago, Lance Reed said:

Very cool Andres!
How's the project progressing?
Take care, Lance

Hey Lance. I'm hoping to complete the breadboard layout this weekend and make some functional tests. The goal is to check all functions (without spirit voice for the start) and doing corrections in schematic.

The real device then will be made according to the new schematic including housing, switches, knobs, etc. When this is finished I will fo a final test and ship the device to you.

4 hours ago, Andres Ramos said:

Hey Lance. I'm hoping to complete the breadboard layout this weekend and make some functional tests. The goal is to check all functions (without spirit voice for the start) and doing corrections in schematic.

The real device then will be made according to the new schematic including housing, switches, knobs, etc. When this is finished I will fo a final test and ship the device to you.

Brilliant Andres! Exciting times 🙂 

Functional tests were completed successfully today and I made some more small improvements. Audio transmission through the bridge is working excellent so far. Will update the schematic now and the functional test phase is completed then.

ITC tests will start when the final device is completed. I'm going for this goal now!

Lady's and gentleman, I am now presenting you "Skyfall" from Adele played through the light bridge.

Here are the updated schematics. Finished for today. Time for a beer!

Schematic transmitter unit

661242993_Light-BridgeSchematic-Sheet1.thumb.JPG.a47578245fcf87fea41c5f91605edc21.JPG

Schematic receiver unit

1770890342_Light-BridgeSchematicSheet2.thumb.JPG.36fb222fe84c16610319b14aada19790.JPG