Project 2: Experiments with Carbon Composition Resistors - by Andrés Ramos

1. Abstract

In this document I will describe how I accidentally  unveiled one of the most powerful and simple ITC devices I was able to realize since the start of my engagement with ITC years ago. I found it by spiritual guidance. The experiments described in this document are a spin-off from my various coherer experiments I did before.

Sample of a very strong voice: Very strong voice - processed.mp3

I will show how I came to discover the ITC properties of carbon composition resistors, how they do perform in ITC applications and also what processes I developed to identify and optimize their ITC-relevant parameters.

I also have a theory about the working principle in the observed phenomenon that is aligned with the concepts I have laid out in my paper "The Coherer Effect", published in the Varanormal section "Papers - Research, Theories, Concepts"

As usual I will share all schematics, pictures and test results in this document. My hope is that lot's of people are going to replicate this most simple device and make up their mind on their own about this stunning phenomeon.

2. Preface

Personally I thought my quest for the coherer effect in ITC ended by publishing my paper "The coherer Effect" (See the Varanormal section for papers). In a way I felt "through" with this topic and I wanted to continue with investigations on direct microphone voices. There was one thing left I wanted to shift-in as a transitional project and it was based on an idea for a digital ITC circuit. I had the vague idea of using a clock signal to drive the SET and RESET lines of an ordinary digital flipflop simultaneously. Thus the digital output of the flipflop would be determinded by race conditions on the respective SET and RESET lines. Depending on what signal made it first into the flipflop the balance of 1s and 0s would be shifted up and down, causing a varying dc component in the signal that would carry spirit imprints hopefully.

I got a fairly good noise from the circuit and also some pk-modulation (psychokinetic modulation from spirits). In my pursue to optimize the signal I accidentally ripped off the clock line from the flipflop. Strangely enough the pk modulation remained! Now I started to remove more and more electronic components from the breadboard methodically, always checking if something in the signal had changed. In the end everything was left was the final OpAmp (Operational amplifier, a widely used standard component in electronics to amplify signals) I used to adapt the signal level to the line input of my computer sound card. The voices still were there!

After some detailed scrutinizing I finally could identify the reason for this phenomenon in a simple resistor network. This network was made of a simple 1:2 voltage divider I used to bias the OpAmp in the middle of the power supply range. Again, this is a standard procedure done in electronic design and absolutely nothing special. Thus the resistors were causing the voices and nothing else and the simple question was, why?

The fact that makes everything what happened so strange is that, by pure accident, I picked two very old resistors from my component box just because they did fit very well mechanically into the constraints of my breadboard. These resistor were the remnants of a package of unused but scrapped components I literally had pulled out of the trashcan in the company I formerly worked for and that went bankruptcy 14 years ago. Those resistors were VERY old! I was bewildered by the strong modulation that came out of this hilarious simple circuit and I simplified it a bit to make it work with only one of those precious resistors.

3. The test circuit

Carbon Noiser without form V2.0.JPG

Fig.1: Schematic of test circuit

This circuit is so simple that it almost isn't worth to loose a single word about it. Transistor T1 is a 2,5mA DC current source. The current flows through R1 which is one of the miraculous resistors. The current is calculated such that the nominal resistor value of R1 causes a voltage drop across it that is half of the 12VDC power supply. The Opamp is perfectly biased then. The circuitry around the OpAmp makes it a simple non-inverting, high impedance amplifier with an adjustable amplification between 56 and roughly 100.000. He also works as a moderate band-pass but this is not essential for the performance of this circuit.

The modulation was pretty strong. Even with a polarized capacitor of 47uF across R1 there were strong impulses, however of course lacking spectral content.

Voice with 47uF cap across R1

Voices without bandwith limitation

The following pictures are showing the remarkably well pk modulation and signal to noise ratio.

Example#1.jpgExample#2.jpg

Fig.2: pk-modulation and SNR

The left picture shows a signal with strong bandwidth limitation while the right one is just limited by the band-pass features of the OpAmp. Signals like that are rare!

What confused me was the low amplification I needed to get huge noise amplitudes from this circuit. I adjusted the potentiometer roughly to a value of 100 ohms. This gives an amplification factor of 560 or 55dB. If you take usual noise amplitudes into account from semiconductor elements, or even thermal noise from resistors, this low amplification is absolutely a joke! Normally you would need amplifications of 10.000 and more to get a reasonable noise amplitude and I could generate a one Volt amplitude easily by applying just an amplification of 560. That means the noise was incredibly strong!

4. Curious Incidents

The results I accidentally gained from this little circuit made me scratch my head, to say the least. I discussed the phenomenon with Michael Lee in the research group and because the circuit was so simple he replicated it fast. However he did it with a simple voltage divider instead of my current source but this made no difference regarding the observed effect. Besides, the circuit was almost similar to one Michael had tested a year ago and he called a "whistler", because of the flute like sound it creates. Michael sent me back an audio sample and it showed the basic characteristics of what I had observed. However I do not know if he also had carbon composite resistors at hand as he replicated my circuit.

Audio sample from Michael Lee: threema-20210702-141833834.mp3

Michael Lee.jpg

Fig.3: signal from Michael Lee's circuit

To make further investigations easier I decided to make a more advanced prototype from my breadboard setup and quickly constructed this little device.

IMG_20210705_152731.jpg

Fig.4: Carbon Composition Resistor Prototype

After finishing and adjusting this device I let it run on Varanormal stream 4. It gave a very nice and strong noise but apparently, no pk-modulation and thus no voices! I double and triple checked every component in the circuit but everything was running perfectly in terms of electronics. The effect came out of nothing and seemed to have disappeared again into the void? Slowly my head became dizzy from this strange behavior. Luckily I still had my breadboard setup that continued to function. The logical thing was to exchange the resistors. Both resistors were from the same type of carbon composition resistors (CCR) of course.

CCR compare.jpg

Fig.5: Comparison of CCR and standard resistor

The CCR is the bulky resistor. The other one is a standard metal film resistor. Both resistors I used in my breadboard and in the prototype, were the bulky one type.

After exchanging the resistors I had pk-modulation in my prototype and none in my breadboard. So it became clear that necessarily not every CCR of the same type gives pk-modulation. I valued this insight as very important!

I found some more resistors of the same type and luckily also some that gave good pk-modulation. Finally I had the prototype running and did more experiments. Recording the stream several times in small chunks and analyze them turned out to be favorable. Since I am well trained to decode even noisy and distorted voices I was given some very strange messages. From what the spirits told me in their, sometimes weird structured speech, was that they picked up my idea of the coherer and started to conduct experiments on their side, obviously with the goal to "meet me in the middle".  I was named as "the professor" even I don't have a beard. Two development streams, one starting in the physical world and another coming from the hereafter, mutually connecting somewhere was the idea. They said they utilized my concept of carbon coherers and that there was more to follow. The asked for more time to adapt "their circuits".

Strong voice burst recorded 2021-04-07 in the morning:Very strong voice - processed.mp3

A little later a German ITC friend of mine contacted me. She usually is doing sessions with discarnated people and other "beings" and she said she suddenly heard my name. And then, again a little later, a person with mediumistic skills who do not wants his identity being unveiled, reached out for me and said he received messages addressing me. In these messages I was told to continue the research on coherers and especially organic ones (made from carbon). There would be a higher principle behind it for a new type of understanding of ITC coming in the future.

Remember I decided weeks ago to quit with all that coherer stuff but this was a new context starting to open and I was willing to pick up the ball.

5. The physics of a Carbon Composition Resistor

Time now to specify what we are talking about. A carbon composition resistor or "CCR" is the first type of resistor that was commonly used in the uprising world of electronics starting somewhere between WWI and WWII and extending into the beginning of the 70's. This type of resistor was easy to produce, it was cheap and it was bad. CCR's were known to have very high manufacturing tolerances, they changed their resistance while being soldered, by the influence of high voltages or just by lying around in a stock for years, at a rate of roughly 5% of their nominal value per year. Ah yes and they were known to produce much noise. So electronic engineers hated them but ITC experimenters should instantly fall in love with those bitchy beasts.

The answer why one resistor produces noise and good pk modulation and the next one not, obviously is caused by the individual behavior of those components. Technically a CCR is  a bunch of fine powdered carbon mixed with resin. The carbon particles are embedded in the non conducting resin and depending on their concentration in the resin compound they give more or less conduction that makes up the resistor value. Of course the image of millions of small carbon particles with loose contact among each other immediately made me think of a "frozen" coherer and explained very well the ITC results I obtained. 

For me two important question were arising from this context:

• Are there any measurable parameters to identify a resistor with good pk-modulation?
  • Are there any means to turn a CCR with bad or no pk-modulation into a working one (in terms of ITC)?

5.1 High Voltage treatment

I used an old high voltage generator I built years ago to bombshell a CCR, which had a very bad pk-modulation, with 5cm sparks. Maybe this was a little too much since the CCR decreased his nominal value from 2.2 KOhm down to 1k ohm and showed no more noise, let alone pk-modulation. So that was not the right treatment.

I decided to proceed more methodically and took what I could find of the 2.2 KOhm CCR type I used and measured their real impedance and their pk-modulation. The results are as follows, ordered by impedance.

CCR-1k.jpg

Fig.6: 1k-CCR - noise and modulation

You see the damaged 1k resistor (real impedance) was literally dead. Please skip the lower part with the heating for now. I will come back to this later.

CCR-3k27.jpg

Fig.7: 3.27KOhm CCR pk-modulation

Another resistor had a real impedance of 3.27 KOhm. This is an increase in impedance of already 50% of the nominal level. An electronic engineers nightmare, so to speak. But you can see there is a remarkable amount of noise in it and roughly 40% of pk-modulation. The pk modulation was estimated from the ratio of the maximum amplitude swing compared to full swing.

CCR-3k75.jpg

Fig.8: 3.75KOhm CCR  pk-modulation

The next resistor really stirs up the dirt. With a real impedance of 3.75 KOhm the pk-modulation reaches 90%!

CCR-4k2.jpg

Fig.9: 4.2KOhm CCR  pk-modulation

The 4.2KOhm CCR puts the end point to this row of measurements. It reaches about 95%  pk-modulation!

Obviously there is a stable relationship between the rising impedance level of the resistors and their pk-modulation. Thus we can put an answer to question one, saying yes, there is a measurable parameter. We just need to check the real impedance and if it is approx 70% or more OVER the nominal level we have a good pk-modulation.

5.3 Heating

Now let me come back to the thing with heating a CCR. What I found out in the internet was that CCR's are increasing their impedance during soldering, that means while applying heat to the resistor. It was logical to take the damaged 1 k resistor and apply some heat from a lighter to it. In fact the resistor value climbed up to 1.12 KOhm what gives us a rise of 12% in impedance AND an increase of noise from -56 dB up to -48 dB. A noise gain of 8 dB is not bad. Sadly further heating cycles did not yield into more noise gain, so this mean to improve noise and pk-modulation is constrained by definition.

5.4 High Voltage Treatment V2.0

To conduct more experiments I purchased a bunch of 15 KOhm CCR's from Morganite, a former british manufacturer of resistors mainly used in radio equipment up to the 70's. I had some nice discussions about CCR's and their physical and "spiritual" properties in the forum with Ron and especially with Jeff. He told me that Morganite was known as the engineers curse because of their unpredictable behavior to change their impedance. I did a lot of internet recherche because Jeff told me that CCR's were conditioned by exposing them to a high voltage. This treatment was more or less emulating what the resistor was facing in the electronic circuits of yesterday that mainly were made of vacuum tubes and their corresponding high anode voltages of 250 VDC.

So I decided to give it a try and took one of those Morganite beasts and measured the noise coming out on my breadboard setup, then pulled it out, hooked it up to my power supply in my shack and "baked" it at 80 VDC for some minutes, where it became moderately warm. Now see the results in the following figure.

Morganite compare.jpg

Fig.10: Comparison of 15 KOhm Morganite CCR before and after HV treatment

Before the treatment the noise level was at -39 dB in average. After 3 minutes of treatment it climbed up to -13 dB. A noise gain of 26 dB by just some minutes of HV treatment AND I got some pk-modulation for free on top!

I repeated the experiment with another Morganite resistor and let it bake for 4.5h at 80 VDC. Again the noise level was increased but I almost got no pk-modulation. OK, I thought, resistors are individuals! I left it aside for a while and then turned it on again to verify my measurements. First there was nothing but then I realized a thick oxide layer on the leads and scratched it away. After switching on the circuit again my headphones tended to explode, the noise signal was over all limits and drove my amplifier into saturation. I also observed uncontrolled self oscillations. There is definitely a need to investigate this in more depth.

We now can also put an answer to the second question we formulated. By applying a moderate HV to a CCR we can increase noise and pk-modulation remarkably.

6. Outline of a possible explanation

I already wrote a lot about coherers in ITC and hypothesized how they might do what they do. So, in this article I just want to emphasize again that a carbon composition resistor shares a lot of similarities with the graphite coherer I scrutinized so deeply. Both devices work with fine carbon particles and loose connections. They produce the same voice characteristics, often distorted voice signals with exceptional signal to noise ratio. The CCR has some benefits compared to the standard graphite coherer, since it is more stable. Coherer receivers occasionally require readjustments while the CCR retains his characteristics. The problem is that not every CCR is a good "carbon coherer". The quality of fragile interconnections between the carbon particles that are so important for a good pk-sensitivity, is a random output of the manufacturing process. Generally aging and HV treatment are good for the CCR in ITC applications. This is logical because aging likely means a degradation of the carbon contacts. The HV treatment causes molecule migration and thus is making the fragile interconnections even more fragile. This increases the quantum tunneling effect and thus the noise generation and pk-modulation of the CCR.

If this is true then CCR's with higher impedance values could yield better results in ITC. Their share in the mixture with resin is smaller. Lesser particles mean lesser and more fragile interconnections and more noise. This is yet to be proven.

To round off this article I present some samples to you that were decoded by using KRISP.

Zwölf ist hier.wav

Chesapeake is late.wav

Ears button.wav

7. Epilogue

I'm hoping for people in the community willing to replicate my findings and sharing their results with me. Since now I am committed spiritually to deeper investigations on this topic I'd love to have some comrades at my side to accompany me on this journey.

My special thanks go to Michael Lee, Jeff and Ron who gave me so much support. Thank you guys!

Jetzt wird Kontakt.mp3 Habt ihr ganz gut gemacht.mp3

Great results and well described Andres, Im excited for you at this discovery - indeed ongoing discovery!

Some thoughts occurred to me in relation to what was discussed in the Carbon thread, and relates to my comments on Hodowanec's work. I think we can assume that part of the noise spectral content from an 'active' pk resistor is in fact due to external cosmic influences, as Hodowanec has stated. If this is so, then it is reasonable to assume that 2 resistors side by side would output the same noise in a corellated fashion, even if they werent the same amplitude. If this is so, then this opens the door for a poor pk performance resistor's noise to partially null the corellated noise from a good pk performance resistor. This would theoretically mean it would be possible to increase the signal to noise ratio of the received voice due to the partial cancelling of unwanted noise content - ie noise cancellation by nulling.

As said, it all hinges on whether there is truth in the cosmic influence concepts of Hodwanec, and indeed whether there is much of it in proportion to other sources of random noise within the resistor.

On 7/12/2021 at 5:31 AM, Dr Jeffers said:

Great results and well described Andres, Im excited for you at this discovery - indeed ongoing discovery!

Some thoughts occurred to me in relation to what was discussed in the Carbon thread, and relates to my comments on Hodowanec's work. I think we can assume that part of the noise spectral content from an 'active' pk resistor is in fact due to external cosmic influences, as Hodowanec has stated. If this is so, then it is reasonable to assume that 2 resistors side by side would output the same noise in a corellated fashion, even if they werent the same amplitude. If this is so, then this opens the door for a poor pk performance resistor's noise to partially null the corellated noise from a good pk performance resistor. This would theoretically mean it would be possible to increase the signal to noise ratio of the received voice due to the partial cancelling of unwanted noise content - ie noise cancellation by nulling.

As said, it all hinges on whether there is truth in the cosmic influence concepts of Hodwanec, and indeed whether there is much of it in proportion to other sources of random noise within the resistor.

This again is a sign for synchronicity. Michael Lee and me had a discussion this morning about using parallel pk receivers even if not in the way you described it. However your idea is absolutely thrilling and it's logical. This way we could utilize the noise from pk-free resistors as well.

Reminds of a thought I had in the past as I made up my mind about nulling circuits. I realized I would need a reference that in any case is not prone to spirit influences but had no idea how to achieve this since spirit voices are pouring out of everything.

Thank you Jeff! I will follow this up.

Its heartening to hear that the idea is in the airwaves, so to speak.

I think we have a synergy between us that really shows sometimes, even though I'm remote to the discussions you guys have.

On 7/12/2021 at 12:08 PM, Dr Jeffers said:

Its heartening to hear that the idea is in the airwaves, so to speak.

I think we have a synergy between us that really shows sometimes, even though I'm remote to the discussions you guys have.

I think we somehow decided to participate on the same reality, so to speak.

Very interesting and praiseworthy results!   I look forward to hearing more.

On 7/12/2021 at 9:31 PM, Sfay said:

Very interesting and praiseworthy results!   I look forward to hearing more.

Thank you Sfay. In fact I see this just as the beginning and if spiritual guidance will continue than more will follow. In a way my investigations are circling more and more around carbon. It's a very special element. Electrically it is a semiconductor, chemically related to silicon, strongly entangled with quantum tunneling effects, biologically it is the fundamental of life because all organic chemistry is based on carbon. I have the vague feeling carbon is a link between the physical and the spiritual. Edison invented the carbon microphone and did amazing experiments with carbon, like the tasimeter and I am guessing his works for the spiritual telephone, he made in his last years, were also based on his experiences with carbon.

For me it's like carbon is telling me, "Find out who I am" and I am picking up the ball.

Your research with carbon is very insightful and thought-provoking.  Perhaps Edison is inspiring you.  From my EVP messages I gather that Tesla and Edison have put aside their differences from life and do work together with ITC practitioners.   

On 7/13/2021 at 8:05 PM, Sfay said:

Your research with carbon is very insightful and thought-provoking.  Perhaps Edison is inspiring you.  From my EVP messages I gather that Tesla and Edison have put aside their differences from life and do work together with ITC practitioners.   

It's so good to know. Both were fierce enemies once. If now they are collaborating this is amazing. Edison was pragmatic and enduring while Tesla was transcendental. I would be blessed to have them as teachers.

Yes, I think Sfay may be correct, although I think they each help inspire different people, depending on the type of technology that they are working on. Edison has been mentioned as helping me. It would be fascinating to know what they each like to specialize in.

On 7/13/2021 at 10:25 PM, Dr Jeffers said:

Yes, I think Sfay may be correct, although I think they each help inspire different people, depending on the type of technology that they are working on. Edison has been mentioned as helping me. It would be fascinating to know what they each like to specialize in.

Tesla is fascinating and mysterious. He seemed to have a cosmic mind. However for whatever reasons I felt more entangled with Edison. I read my first book about Edison in my childhood. My father gave it to me as a gift for my birthday and I've read it a hundred times. It had the title "The Wizard of Menlo Park"

• Andres Ramos changed the title to Project 2: Experiments with Carbon Composition Resistors - by Andrés Ramos
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.