• iDigitalMedium Research Team

In the past 2 weeks I was experimenting with a circuit that utilizes race conditions on the R and S lines of a digital flipflop. My idea was that spirits could influence the runtime of clock signals and thus generate fluctuations in the dc component of the output signal.

I had a nice noise signal and also fairly good voices. So far so good. While trying to improve the signal to noise ratio I accidentally ripped off the driving clock signal from the flipflop. To my utter amazement the voices still remained. Then I methodologically stripped off any electronic components until everything that was left was the final OpAmp stage that amplified the flipflop signal for the line output. Voices were still there!

After some more investigations I finally found out that the noise was coming directly from the resistor network I used to bias the OpAmp. It was a simple 1:2 voltage divider made of two 2k2 resistors and by pure accident I took two very old carbon compound resistors. As I replaced them by metal film resistors the signal was gone.

So my current circuit I am using now is this one. The signal it produces has much from the coherer setup but the voices sometimes are really good.

The behavior of this circuit is varying. Sometimes I got almost clear voices and then later more spiky ones with good modulation but bad quality, some voices that are more the envelope function of speech and some voices are completely over limit! The difference compared to the coherer voices is that the signal to noise ratio is really outstanding and I could decode lots of them without post processing even though they are still hard to hear for an untrained ear.

Carbon Noiser.JPG

I was totally fuzzied that I suddenly get strong EVP signals from a simple biased OpAmp. Even with a polarized cap from the center of the voltage divider against ground I still got strong impulses (the envelope style voices). I never had this before and I built hundreds of amplifier stages like this, so this must be something new!

From a session I did not archived I deciphered the following. The spirits picked up my idea of working with graphite/carbon and conducted experiments and researches to "meet me in the middle".  They said it is my concept they are realizing and called me "professor". I don't know if this an academical grade in the hereafter but it certainly was motivating anyway. Then they said it works very good but I should give them more time to improve their technology.

I talked to Michael Lee in our research group and he quickly replicated my circuit. It was almost similar to a design he made a year ago and called "whistler". He sent me a sample and it showed many of the qualities I had found in my audio exports.

threema-20210702-141833834.aac

I have the feeling that maybe we will face a breakthrough caused by research done in the hereafter and a new portal is starting to open.

I would like if more people would replicate this easy circuit to check if they get similar results.

Enevlope style voices

Du hast den Kontakt.mp3

Du redest mit uns.mp3

Export.mp3

Spiky voices

Bis sieben Uhr fertig.mp3

Export.mp3

Echo.mp3

Wavepad 2021-07-03.mp3

Distorted and strong voices

Ergebnis.mp3

Unknown.mp3 (Here the first part is unprocessed and the 2nd is the same but processed)

Very strong voice - processed.mp3

More clear voices

Gleichstrom.mp3

Lassen sie sich bitten.mp3

Montag Verluste.mp3

Wir treffen uns.mp3

Posted (edited)

This is an exciting breakthrough Andres, great samples. Can you please post a pic of the carbon resistors you are using?

I'm wondering if the power rating / size of the carbon resistor will alter the sensitivity, and / or if a series connection of several resistors will have a cumulative effect? - or parallel connection for that matter.

From reading your news, I trawled through my archives and found a circuit that I was working on with Bill Weisensale in 2000, just before his passing. It is a nulling circuit that uses carbon and metal film resistors as complementary gain setting elements in each stage, in order to provide a pk modulation of audio presented to it.

After the passing of Bill, I lost a lot of motivation, and our projects never went any further, I'm sorry to say. Im sure he would be pleased that this particular concept we worked on sees the light of day again.

Mark 3 Test Bed.JPG

Edited by Dr Jeffers

Hi Jeff,

I studied the schematic you provided and yes, it is based on the same principles. The idea is obviously that metal film resistors behave different in terms of pk modulation than carbon compound resistors. Since the pairs of those two types are reversed, if you compare the OpAmp stages with each other,  a shift of the resistor value/noise amplitude/whatever will run in different directions and thus yielding a net deflection from zero. Nevertheless his circuit seems to based on the assumption that spirits can influence both carbon resistors simultaneously. I don't kow if this is possible in general.

My circuit is much simpler of course since I found it empirically while Bill made up his mind very deliberately it seems.

See these two pictures of my resistor. The bulky one is the carbon compound resistor, the other one is just for comparison.

IMG_20210703_114831.jpgIMG_20210703_114725.jpg

I read some information in the net about noise in carbon resistors. They are known to noise but I think not as much as I observed. Without having scrutinized the effect in depth I assume the noise amplitude will be proportional to resistor value and current Noise -> R*I. Most of these old resistor have a brown body and are rather big. If you still have access to convoluts you should grab them. It's said that by aging they become even more noisy but I don't know if this is a scientific fact or a myth.

The effect itself is drastic! If you take a look at my schematic you see that the amplification is determined by the ratio R4/P1. I screwed down P1 to roughly 100R but the effect is also perceptible with higher values of P1 and thus lower amplification. The amplification now is 56000/100 = 560. This normally is nothing if you want to get a reasonable amplitude from a noising electronic component for what I usually had to employ an amplification factor of 10.000. With this circuit I can obtain 1 Vss output easily by utilizing an amplification of roughly 55dB.

This is what makes me think if this effect is new and caused by the spirits. I used carbon resistors in my circuits occasionally since I still have some in my component box and I never experienced this phenomenon before. From a electronic engineers point of view it now would be impossible to use those resistors in any kind of amplifier because they would knock down every signal with noise.

I ordered more carbon resistors to scrutinize this phenomenon in more depth.

Posted (edited)

This is quite exciting Andres. I'll have to ponder the implications of this too. It seems to good to be true?

I was in my archives just before and dragged up an article where Hodowanec used a carbon resistor element for a sensor  - instead of a cap. Here is a extract of relevant piece of the article...

Hodowanec  page 64-65.JPG

Edited by Dr Jeffers

1 hour ago, Dr Jeffers said:

This is quite exciting Andres. I'll have to ponder the implications of this too. It seems to good to be true?

I was in my archives just before and dragged up an article where Hodowanec used a carbon resistor element for a sensor  - instead of a cap. Here is a extract of relevant piece of the article...

Hodowanec  page 64-65.JPG

Now my head starts turning. If you look at it with the + input of the LM741 at GND, it is similar to my virtual ground provided by the carbon resistor network. And I utilized a polarized cap to get rid of offset voltages and temperature drift. In the circuit above this must be done by careful adjustment. I think the circuit will not be very stable in terms of temperature drift. However this circuit would show the same signal as mine in the end.

How do I receive gravity waves when the spirits are interfering on the signal with their voices? 🤪 But hey, you know what this means? This means that the effect we are observing now, was NOT there when Hodowanec made his experiments. Spooky! 😬

And I agree, it just seems to good to be true. Maybe in a short time this effect will disappear again. Who knows?

Update from yesterday. The device still generates strong noise but with almost no voices. I built a prototype that now is streaming the signal on stream 4.

IMG_20210705_152731.jpg

This device, despite it's made identically to my breadboard setup, produces strong noise but without any voices! Very disturbing. I just can hypothesize that the "ITC radio weather" was turned down by some reason and moreover the carbon resistors have very distinguished noise qualities. I will do mir experiments by exchanging the carbon resistor in my setup with other ones and observing the change in the signal.

Learned a lot today. The problem of the prototype receiver that produces noise without voices made me do some more tests. Finally I found out those carbon resistors are kind of beasts. They make look equal and may give similar resistance values but under the hood the noise amplitude and pk modulation differ a lot? By exchanging the 2k2 resistor against another one I instantly got a strong pk modulation again.

Screenshot_2021-07-06-19-00-30-571_com.nchsoftware.pocketwavepad_free.jpg

Spirit.wav

Allein.wav Und dann den Tipp.wav

This here is an example for a continuously speaking voice. I post processed it in Wavepad with FX filters and denoising.

Continous voice.mp3

The  resistor receiver is online here: stream 4

Got another idea to replace the old carbon resistors. I could give it a try with a trimming potentiometer. It contains a track made of carbon.

Hi Andres, this is great. I'm pleased you got the pk mod back again.

I had a go at tweaking the continuous voice clip, and got it more palatable to listen to for me. It does seem that the voices come riding in on the crests of higher noise impulses, like riding a surf board. In the shallows they disappear again into the water.

Continousvoice tweaked.mp3

Great work Jeff! What kind of post processing have you applied? This really sounds better! Will analyze it after work.

Yes, it seems they're riding a noise energy wave. This all still is s mystery to me. I don't know what makes one resistor susceptible to pk and the next one not. Maybe the higher noise impulses are gating a communication channel?

Another strange thing with the continuous speaking voice is that the signal was unsymmetrically before post processing.

IMG_20210707_073548.jpg

Ive been thinking about the reasons for the variation in pk modulation ability of the resistors, Andres. I think is probably due in part to the particular relationship between peak amplitudes of large spikes verses the level of the averaged waveform (and the sweet spot proportion of each per unit of time). There will be a sweet spot in the differential which works best I imagine, as yes I agree, it probably acts as a catalyst for dimensional overlap (for a short period, and then exponentially decays). One idea came to mind and that was to pulse the constant current with very short but high amplitude pulses to simulate /stimulate the triggering effect. I know youve got regen in the cct, but it may be too 'sloppy' to be effective, and may not add benefit to add noise floor back into itself as well.

The post processing I used is my old favourite: Mr Vocal Anonymize in WavePad. Reduced pitch, changed speed, noise spectral subtraction, and then a touch of reverb to give it some "body" - oh dear thats a pun. I think that was the recipe, not 100% sure, as I just make it up as I go. 

Thanks Jeff, a good idea. I think it would be favorable to pulse the system with a frequency far outside the audible frequency band and then use a 3.5KHz low pass to block the interfering frequencies. A NE555 would be just good for this.

Today I obtained a bunch of old 7,6 KOhm carbon resistors from Ebay. They're old and were manufactured in England (company Morganite). I checked some and so far I could not perceive a decent pk modulation. Thus your idea could be worth a try, definitely.

Thanks for your post processing recipe, I will replicate it.

Posted (edited)

Oh yes, I remember Morganite, Allen Bradley and their other cohort resistors in crime. They were the curse of pre-1970's english manufactured radios such as Eddystone, of which I refurbished a few over the years. These carbon composition resistors were prone to high noise and going high in value as they aged, sometimes +300% or so. They also had a non linearity that I remember, where their resistance value changed when HT was applied to the circuit they were in. The noise was mainly due to the multiple current paths passing through the carbon stick, and these paths swapped around in a random fashion due to the granulated nature of the material. All in all, they were horrible - but perfect for your application.

Good luck with the "kicker" circuit.

Edited by Dr Jeffers

7 hours ago, Dr Jeffers said:

Oh yes, I remember Morganite, Allen Bradley and their other cohort resistors in crime. They were the curse of pre-1970's english manufactured radios such as Eddystone, of which I refurbished a few over the years. These carbon composition resistors were prone to high noise and going high in value as they aged, sometimes +300% or so. They also had a non linearity that I remember, where their resistance value changed when HT was applied to the circuit they were in. The noise was mainly due to the multiple current paths passing through the carbon stick, and these paths swapped around in a random fashion due to the granulated nature of the material. All in all, they were horrible - but perfect for your application.

Good luck with the "kicker" circuit.

Wow Jeff, you're truly a walking talking database about the history of analog electronics. I love that because now as you see your experience is most valuable for me!

Your thoughts about the randomly switching current paths is exactly what I imagined as the reason gor that special type of noise and in a way the carbon resistors are resembling coherer properties.

What you said about applying HV fueled my mind. I observed that CCRs all noise a lot but just a few are showing decent pk modulation. I'm just guessing that this happens due to aging. The resistors I used were old but unused. Thus HV treatment can not be the reason for their pk sensitivity. But maybe HV treatment could work like accelerated aging.

Another idea could be to puncture the carbon layer at arbitrary positions to make the current paths more fragile.

Some more ideas from your side to teach pk modulation to CCRs?

Thanks for those kind words Andres. Yes, Ive got some history, I'm glad its occasionally of use.

Yes, I think aging happens in CCRs due to long term HV application. It could be the answer to why some resistors are more pk sensitive.

Have a look at this url.. method for "conditioning" a carbon resistor - (no, its not using a hair product on them)

http://jnaudin.free.fr/meg/negres.htm

2 hours ago, Dr Jeffers said:

Thanks for those kind words Andres. Yes, Ive got some history, I'm glad its occasionally of use.

Yes, I think aging happens in CCRs due to long term HV application. It could be the answer to why some resistors are more pk sensitive.

Have a look at this url.. method for "conditioning" a carbon resistor - (no, its not using a hair product on them)

http://jnaudin.free.fr/meg/negres.htm

Again wow! How do you store all these informations in your mind just to pull them out when someone asks the right questions?

OK, now I will look for a nice carbon resistor hairdo...😀

Its mostly not my ideas ( I know this to be true), I receive ideas and impressions directly from those in the other world. They usually come very quickly, much quicker than I could possibly think them out.

1 hour ago, Dr Jeffers said:

Its mostly not my ideas ( I know this to be true), I receive ideas and impressions directly from those in the other world. They usually come very quickly, much quicker than I could possibly think them out.

Then you are a very well working relay station for ideas.👍

Note to myself! In the following article it is explained that carbon composition resistors are made of carbon powder and resin. From this point of view they are like a "frozen" coherer. Most of their noise comes from current noise and it's like Jeff said caused by switching over between different current paths.

Article Carbon Composite Resistors

I will sacrifice one of my resistors with no pk modulation to look inside if they really are CCRs or carbon layer resistors. 

Hear this short recording I made this morning. An extremely strong voice burst that lasted approximately one minute. It starts with a totally distorted howling mix of overlayed voices. After 15m it turns into a very fast staccato of one fast voice and then goes over into a slow speaking voice. Post processing eas done with pitch rise, high pass and reverb.

Stream4.wav

Great capture Andres.

It is fascinating to ponder what the microcosm is like inside the CCR. Millions of electrical paths all converging, diverging and merging at random periods of time. If you take the Hodowanec approach to this, its the micro variations in gravity that influence the pathways taken by the currents, causing a rapid modulation of average current, and imbuing it with the typical noise structure that youve been recording. The strong bursts of impulse noise call to mind the activity of bio-electrical charges with the brain, with all of its millions of neural pathways being activated at what seems a random fashion. Random from outward glance, but obviously intelligent by design and outward function - otherwise how am thinking and writing this?

2 hours ago, Dr Jeffers said:

Great capture Andres.

It is fascinating to ponder what the microcosm is like inside the CCR. Millions of electrical paths all converging, diverging and merging at random periods of time. If you take the Hodowanec approach to this, its the micro variations in gravity that influence the pathways taken by the currents, causing a rapid modulation of average current, and imbuing it with the typical noise structure that youve been recording. The strong bursts of impulse noise call to mind the activity of bio-electrical charges with the brain, with all of its millions of neural pathways being activated at what seems a random fashion. Random from outward glance, but obviously intelligent by design and outward function - otherwise how am thinking and writing this?

I completely agree with you Jeff. As I read about the physics of a CCR in wikipedia I had the imagination of millions of small carbon particles embedded in resin with fragile connections and mutually influencing each other. If one current path is firing it becomes low impedance and possibly short cuts other paths that extinguish. In fact that could be the model of an artificial brain. The actions taking place in a coherer are already indicating this. As I experimented with the graphite coherer, as well as with all coherers, I needed to shake it a bit and apply the right dc bias, then suddenly it started noising. It's like life is coming into a carbon composite, like the inset of random self oscillation. Those small grains of carbon are quantum detectors and switches simultaneously.

Moreover with Hodowanec's thoughts in mind you could say by receiving gravitational waves you have the influence of the whole universe inside this artificial brain.

I outlined this principle already in the Coherer paper you already know. It's now published.

Did a test with different resistors of the same type today and applied HV treatment with a spark generator I constructed years ago. Very interesting results. The HV treatment rather destroys the noise and pk features of the resistor insted of improving them. I took a resistor that produced moderate noise and very low pk. The nominal resistor value was 2k2. I measured 2k7 roughly. After one minute of spark treatment the resistor value dropped down below 1k. Noise became very low and pk was gone totally!

Then I measured the resistor values of 4 other resistors of the same type and found out they noise the more the higher their resistance is. I got one 2.9k and one 3.3k (nominal value still 2k2) and the noise was strong with fairly good pk. Another two resistors had values around 4k, very strong noise and exceptional pk modulation.

I'm hypothesizing that certain aging conditions are causing a deterioration of the carbon composition (maybe humidity?). This results in more fragile interconnection between the carbon particles and a stronger coherer effect. A byeffect is the increase of the resistor value with a deviation around 100% from the nominal value.

My recherche yielded into some interesting facts. CCRs may increase their value when used with high voltage over a long period of time due to molecule migration. An instant hv treatment will rather melt the grains together again and thus is decreasing the resistor value.

Normal aging increases the resistance up to 5% per year for what reason ever. This obviously is what I observed.

Heating seems to have the same effect. It increases the resistance. I took the resistor that got deteriorated by the hv treatment. It just had 1k left. I applied heat with a lighter multiple times and the resistor value increased again up to 1k12, thus roughly by 12 % and it didn't go higher even after more heatings. Then I inserted it back into my circuit and noise and pk-modulation were at least moderatly perceivable again.

Thus conditioning in certain limits is possible!

My last experiment was to take one of the old Morganite 15k CCRs. I reduced the transistor current down to 0.4mA in order to match the OpAmp bias in the middle of the 12V power supply and listened to the noise. It was very moderate and no PK-modulation. Then i took out the resistor and hooked it up to my power supply in my workshop that can output more than 100V. I let "breed" the Morganite at 80V with 5mA for some minutes. It warmed up moderatly. Then I inserted it back into my circuit. Immediatly I got much stronger noise than before AND PK-modulation!

Here the signals before (upper track) and after (lower track) the treatment.

Morganite compare.jpg

Morganite before breeding.mp3

Morganite after breeding.mp3

On 7/10/2021 at 8:05 PM, Andres Ramos said:

Moreover with Hodowanec's thoughts in mind you could say by receiving gravitational waves you have the influence of the whole universe inside this artificial brain.

Yes, it would mean all influences and information could be present in the artificial brain, so the brain in effect would be part of a universal hologram.

I discovered something new. It's not only how the CCR was conditioned or altered by aging, the dc bias current plays a major role too. Even resistors with a rather low pk-modulation turn out to be more aggressive if exposed to more bias current. Should have known this from my earlier coherer experiments.

I now have changed my setup to make the bias adjustable. Moreover I implemented a simple noise gate. Voices are extremely strong! Will put clips tomorrow. In conjunction with the gate circuit the background noise vanishes completely and the full but heavily distorted voices seem to come out of nothing. The absence of noise in the output signal gives me another benefit. In now can do level triggered recording in Audacity and just grab the sequences when a voice is present.