• Administrators

I need help with a technical question. I want to produce 6 tones. One of them will be the note "D". The other 5 will be the note "E" However, I need each of the "E" notes to start one after the other.

When the first note completes it's cycle the next E note will have already started. None of the E notes should start or stop at the same time, and the intervals between each start and stop of each E note should be evenly distributed. None of the tones cycles should be in sync with any of the other tones.

Let me know your thoughts!

I usually NCH tone generator to generate the tones.  

Thanks

Keith

tree-64251_1280.jpg

3 hours ago, Keith J. Clark said:

I need help with a technical question. I want to produce 6 tones. One of them will be the note "D". The other 5 will be the note "E" However, I need each of the "E" notes to start one after the other.

When the first note completes it's cycle the next E note will have already started. None of the E notes should start or stop at the same time, and the intervals between each start and stop of each E note should be evenly distributed. None of the tones cycles should be in sync with any of the other tones.

Let me know your thoughts!

I usually NCH tone generator to generate the tones.  

Thanks

Keith

tree-64251_1280.jpg

Basically this could be done in p5.js javascript.

Is the duration for every tone constant?

Is there a minimum overlapping range for the E notes, e.g. does it never happens that one note starts after the previous one has finished?

What about the D note. Is it running in parallel to the E notes?

Since the overlapping is randomly the sequence of the 5 E's has no fixed length, right?

• Administrators

Not a bad idea, I was trying to visualize how to make it precise...and constant. This would get the job done. 

Now that I'm thinking about it, I guess we could say I'm trying to define that each of the 5 E sinewaves begin their cycles at 0/100, 20, 40, 60, and 80 with respect to each other. Is there a manual digital entry I wonder where I can specify what/where the phase begins for each "track".

Thanks for the idea and feedback Jeff!

Keith

• Administrators

Hi Andres, in theory (and boy do I mean theory!) The tones would play constant. 

Software is ideal because I could remove/add frequencies at will and change variables. 

Yes the D would be playing parallel - all would be parallel actually from a 3d perspective. I just defined in my reply to Jeffers above that each of the E sinewaves would start their cycles at 0/100, 20, 40, 60, and 80. 

It's not random actually. In my research I've concluded that combining more than one frequency produces more peaks and valleys, which in turn is ideal for varied amplitude. In this experiment the E notes provide the amplitude fluctuation when run in parallel with the D note, and will play off it as a reference. 

Conversely having more than 2 tones is often counterproductive,  resulting in more voices or fluctuation than is desired. 

This is my mental vision of a possible arrangement as hinted at in readings.

Thanks!

Keith

Ok. Think of an app running in your browser. You have one slider selecting the duration of the E-tones. A second slider sets the head start for each E-tone. In your example this would be 20% of the duration. With the slider you could vary this offset from 0 to 100%. The D-note duration is automatically aligned with the overall duration of the E-tone sequence.

The whole pattern should repeat automatically I assume?

Is this what you want?

• 2 weeks later...