8 - The Seidl Psychophone. A modern design - by Andrés Ramos

• iDigitalMedium Research Team

1. Abstract

One of the best ITC related teachbooks I ever bought is "Nachrichten aus dem Jenseits" written by Herbert Josef Spirik and Horst Rudolf Loos. In fact this is the only book I ever knew that handles ITC from an engineer's point of view. Both authors are electronic engineers and the whole book is a startling practical work with lots of experiments and also some hypothesis about the nature of ITC. If I had to move to an island where I'd just be allowed to take one book with me, this would be my choice.

A whole chapter (5.5) is dedicated to the works of Dr. Ing. Franz Seidl, an austrian engineer born in 1912 and a pioneer in experimental transcommunication. One of his best designs was the psychophon. This device was a product of Dr. Seidls experiences with ITC radio sessions. Those worked pretty well and Dr. Seidl thought that the special type of noise generated in the radio receiving process was a crucial factor for ITC. He concluded that more bandwith would let in more of this noise in terms of more usable entropy for the spirits. The problem with standard radio equipment in terms of ITC is that all those device are narrow banded. Thus Mr. Seidl decided to take a standard radio setup and throw out everything thats limiting the bandwith to get a receiver in the end that was entirely broadband.

He gained remarkable success with this idea. As I studied his design and electronic schematics in the aforementioned book it quickly became pretty clear to me that this design could be dramatically simplified by use of more modern circuits. This was the goal of my experiment.

2. Electronic schematic of Psychophone

export.jpg

My design is pretty straightforward. The core of the device is the IC TAA7642 that is a descendent of the famous ZN414. This was a miraculous circuit from the 70s where mediumwave broadcasting was abundant. The ZN414 came up with a standard transistor casing and also had 3 legs. In fact it looked like a transistor! But inside was a very nice 3-stage regulated HF amplifier and a high quality AM(amplitude modulation) detector. The whole design of this circuit was broadband! The only thing that limited the bandwith was a standard lumped LC-circuit that had to be connected to to input. Thus for the psychophone it was logically to take this design and replace the LC circuit by just a simple receiving coil. I added a simple transistor to the output of the TAA7642 in order to boost the demodulated AF(audio frequency) a bit and I was done.

Moreover I wanted to incorporate another concept I read about in the books of Spirik&Loos. They wrote that an inductor antenna coiled in the shape of a pentagram has special properties that makes it very useful for ITC. It was simple to construct the receiving coil at the input of the TAA7642 in exactly this way. Sadly I lost the antenna somehow and don't have a photo anymore but it's really easy to make if your are downloading a pentagram shape like this from the internet, print it out, glue it on a pice of plywood, drive nails through the edges and follow the interconnecting lines with your wiring. Coil some 30 turns of wire and you're done.

3. Test results with Psychophone

The results were really awesome. The signal itself was as you expect it from radio with lots of statics. With a little denoising of around 25dB lots of voices appeared and could be made audible. However many of them were extremely fast aandI used the tempo change in Audacity to slow them down by 30%. This post processing added a new quality to the voices. They adopted a vocoder like sound with some reverb in it. But this did not affect the intelligibility of the voices.

Raw signal of Psychophone

Signal.jpg

A gallery of voice samples can be found here.

I also discovered some anomalies. The following one was intruiging. It was a strange hollow sound like a weird howling or like a big crowd of cheering people heard from the distance

Listen here: Anomaly

The results can even be improved by use of an additional transmitter. Due to Spirik&Loos an energy field from a small mediumwave transmitter can improve the quality of voices. This could easily be realized with an NE555 or any other Schmitt-Trigger inverter. However this is stuff for another topic.

My final evaluation of the Psychophone is that it is a brilliant idea that can be simplified without lack of quality with modern highly integrated electronic circuits. The pentagram antennas worked very well. However it might be that other antenna types perform the same. This is up to more tests.

• 3 months later...
  • 3-Patrons

This is a great innovation of the Psychofon concept Andres. I like the simplicity and use of the Pentagram antenna. I have built a couple of Psychofons over the years, and the one I got most from was a version by designed by Bernd Giwer, which used a front end high pass filter, 2 RF Amps, demodulator and audio preamp. I never thought to use a TRF chip like you have done.

I think that Spirik and Loos' book is a brilliant technical treasure trove. I found a pdf copy of it, and translated most of the contents to english using google. It was worth the effort for me.

So you know the book? Great! I think it is the  only compendium with circuits designed for ITC in the whole world. I have never found something comparable except a book from Newton C. Brage who dealed a bit with weird stuff but not seriously in my eyes. Must have been a tremendous work for you to translate the whole book!

In all my ITC hardware designs I was experiencing something strange. As a reaction to every question or problem that rose up I found a solution not just by thinking but moreover by remembering. I mean for every problem I found a solution that was related to something that I did in the past. During the years before I came to ITC I conducted lots of unusual experiments and I myself did not really know why there was that  interest in that stuff. Now from another perspective this time appears to me as a preparation for what was up to come as ifit  was already clear that I would enter the realms of ITC some day and had to build up my skills properly. There seems to be a plan behind everything.

• 3-Patrons

Yes, it was quite a job, but I had the content as text within the pdf, so it wasnt too bad to export and translate this. The difficult bit was reintegrating the page images back into the translated text.

Another author I spent time translating was Carlo Trajna, and his articles published in the paranormal magazine "Il Giornale dei Misteri" (The Journal of Mysteries) in the 1980's. These were in Italian, and had to OCR these before I could do the textual translation. Basically, he was experimenting with the Caduceus coil for evp reception (he called it Psychophony). In simple circuits (raudive type crystal set using caduceus) and a more advanced regenerative receiver with multiple windings. His theory was that evp involved the use of longitudinal waves, and the caduceus coil was able to receive this wave type, while suppressing the transverse component.

He wrote a book entitled "Ignoto Chiama Uomo" (The Unknown Calls Man) which I translated some of the chapters into english.

Yes, I very much agree with you that it seems we have a destiny in which we are led along, making slight detours but eventually going toward a destination, while using the skills we inherently have within.

11 hours ago, Dr Jeffers said:

Yes, it was quite a job, but I had the content as text within the pdf, so it wasnt too bad to export and translate this. The difficult bit was reintegrating the page images back into the translated text.

Another author I spent time translating was Carlo Trajna, and his articles published in the paranormal magazine "Il Giornale dei Misteri" (The Journal of Mysteries) in the 1980's. These were in Italian, and had to OCR these before I could do the textual translation. Basically, he was experimenting with the Caduceus coil for evp reception (he called it Psychophony). In simple circuits (raudive type crystal set using caduceus) and a more advanced regenerative receiver with multiple windings. His theory was that evp involved the use of longitudinal waves, and the caduceus coil was able to receive this wave type, while suppressing the transverse component.

He wrote a book entitled "Ignoto Chiama Uomo" (The Unknown Calls Man) which I translated some of the chapters into english.

Yes, I very much agree with you that it seems we have a destiny in which we are led along, making slight detours but eventually going toward a destination, while using the skills we inherently have within.

Very interesting! Have you ever tried to replicate the experiments with the Caduceus coil? I never have heard about it before.

• 3-Patrons

Yes I replicated the experiments, and found what I thought was some degree of enhancement as a receiver of voices, but not enough to pursue with it. There is unfortunately some misinformation about the caduceus coil and its close cousin the Smith Coil. One is often called the other in descriptions, and this has discredited both, in my opinion.

The Caduceus coil is essentially a continuous winding of wire spread out (up and then down) a ferrite rod, where the turns are pulled apart so the up and down windings cross evenly on 2 sides of the coil, and are at a specific angle to each other (like 2 mirrored helical windings over-wound on top of each other). This does reduce the inductance compared to a standard wound coil of the same turns, but it is still in essence a single wound coil.

The Smith Coil on the other hand is two separate windings that are wound over each other (also mirrored helical in structure). The 2 windings are opposed in the magnetic sense, and the ends of the two windings are connected together at each end, forming two parallel connected coils that oppose each other, so the magnetic fields oppose and cancel. It is this property of field cancellation and hence zero impedance that supposedly gives the coil it psycho-active ability.

As said, the properties of the Smith coil have been given to the Caduceus coil and this is unfortunate. I think in the case of the caduceus coil, the special structural shape of the windings has some importance to lift it beyond the performance of a standard coil, like the pentagram coil is essentially an inductance, albeit with a special winding procedure and shape.

Further to the comments in my previous post, Ive have attached the actual article images below for the basic raudive type receiver using the cad coil, and the regenerative type receiver. The coil is illustrated as having a single crossed style winding.

fig 4-2.jpg

figure 7-2.JPG

Edited by Dr Jeffers
Add content

Thank you Jeff, this was enlightening. Now I remember the Caduceus coil, I just forgot about it's name. However I remember to have seen it in an article related to  zero point energy and not ITC but I am not sure about that. Seems that both designs, Caduceus and Smith coil are using the same principle of opposing inductance that reduces or even completely cancels out the net inductance.

Have you ever seen those double winded coils? Sadly i don' have a picture but I saw them in an article about zero point energy too. Imagine you are winding a coil around a wooden stick of some length. Then you pull out the stick and you have a flabby air coil like a soft spring. Now you are winding this "coil" around another core of some material and you get something like a helix in a helix. Basically the electrons in this coil are forced along a double winded path while the inductance clearly is not zero. One day I want to try out the characteristics of this coil.

• 3-Patrons

Yes, I think you mean this type of coil for creating a concentrated magnetic vector potential field in the core, in much the same fashion as a standard magnetic field is concentrated in a conventional solenoid.

https://patents.google.com/patent/JPWO2015099147A1/en

Below are some images of the caduceus coil. A simple pictorial one showing it is just a single winding that is stretched up and down the ferrite rod, so has inductance, but reduced due to the distribution of the winding. Ive included a pic of a cad coil I made. It has an inductance of 66uH, which would be about right for the few number of turns and the stretch. Also an article on the Smith coil and its dual winding / inductance cancelling nature. ZPE theory is a very interesting subject all right !

caduceus winding.jpg

my cad coil.JPG

The origin and history of the Smith coil.pdf

Edited by Dr Jeffers

Yes, the link to Google patent side shows exactly what I meant.

Now I understand why the Caduceus coil still is in inductor because the direction of the windings stays the same.