Direct Microphone Voices

IMG_20200930_145356.jpg

Discovering direct microphone voices was merely a byproduct of my experiments with modulated lasers. I catched some remarkably clear voices and it took me a while to learn that they had nothing to do with the laser but were picked up by the microphone I used for modulating the laser. Later i made a microphone just for this purpose. In fact there is nothing special about this. It just contains a simple electret condenser mic and an adjustable preamplifier in an aluminum cast box. Principally every microphone should do but for some reason the spirits seemed to like the condenser mic.

The quality of these samples is excellent. These are full human voices.

• 1 month later...

Ok, here is the schematic. You will see it's pretty simple. I am using a red LED as an operational indicator as well as for generating the 1,5V needed for the electret condenser mic. The rest is a simple op-amp preamplifier with adustable amplification between 10..100.

ITC-Microphone_schematic.JPG

Microphone and electronic are enclosed in an aluminium cast casing. That makes the device resistant against mechanical shocks and is a good shielding against stray radio waves. Moreover it makes everything looking good 😁

IMG_20210110_161953.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 11/29/2020 at 4:56 PM, Andres Ramos said:

IMG_20200930_145356.jpg

Discovering direct microphone voices was merely a byproduct of my experiments with modulated lasers. I catched some remarkably clear voices and it took me a while to learn that they had nothing to do with the laser but were picked up by the microphone I used for modulating the laser. Later i made a microphone just for this purpose. In fact there is nothing special about this. It just contains a simple electret condenser mic and an adjustable preamplifier in an aluminum cast box. Principally every microphone should do but for some reason the spirits seemed to like the condenser mic.

The quality of these samples is excellent. These are full human voices.

Nice work. Although, the first example sounds like a stray radio emission or microphone picking up a background speech, compared to other samples. I see in the signatures of the files that you have used different recording methods? 

Edited by MarcusF
New idea

Following your comments I realized I mixed-in some recordings that actually do belong to a different technique. At least

"Das ist meine Liebe im Märchen" and

"Ich bin Svenja Bürre"

were obtained by mylar foil crumpling and are not direct microphone voices. I apologize for that confusion. The sample you suspected to be stray radio interference in fact was the audio stream from a radio news speaker. I recorded it with a microphone and later found out that the speech content has changed from what i had heard from the radio loudspeaker directly.