1 - Zincite as an replacement for germanium in ITC application by Andrés Ramos

Andres Ramos

Most ITC aficionados start with the gold old germanium diodes as noise sources for ITC sessions. The noise structure is more rough compared to silicon diode noise and the noise much louder than with the latter ones. The best diodes for ITC I ever tried were the old OA9. These are very rare now and probably obsolete. Years ago i stumbled upon an article about the work of Oleg Lossew. He was a russian radio technician and the first one who scrutinized semiconductor properties of certain materials like crystals and sulphite- and oxide layers. He was supposed to be the first one who encountered the LED effect in carborundum crystals as well. Then  I found the website of Nyle Steiner who turned Lossew works into real practice.

VA_Zincite-7.jpg

I followed Nyles advices and fabricated a zinc oxide substrate by burning a piece of zinc galvanized iron in the flame of a butan torch. A layer of white and black zincite flakes was the result. If you now take the iron sheet as one electrode and a spring beared steel needle as a second, slightly touching the zincite flakes and you route a small current over a resistor in series through it, then you'll hear a strong noise if you are tapping the audio at the zincite electrode and pass it over to an amplifier or recorder.

VA_Zincite-1.jpg

VA_Zincite-2.jpg

I made a real device from this setup.

The noise is pretty strong with spirit voices but of very low quality. However if you give the spirits some time to align with the physical properties of this setup, it will go better.

A drawback is that the bias you need to establish by properly placing the needle is unstable. It take some seconds to find a place for the needle tip that gives good noise. Sadly by the time because of the weight, the needle will press itself though the soft flakes and the bias will change. So readjustment or even replacing of the zincite substrate will be necessary.

VA_Zincite-3.jpg

Electronic schematic of Zincite EVP-Receiver

evp-zincite_receiver.png

Making an EVP receiving device

VA_Zincite-4.jpg

VA_Zincite-5.jpg

VA_Zincite-6.jpg

• Andres Ramos changed the title to 1. Zincite as an replacement for germanium in ITC application by Andrés Ramos
  • Andres Ramos changed the title to 1 - Zincite as an replacement for germanium in ITC application by Andrés Ramos
On 10/14/2020 at 10:56 PM, Andres Ramos said:

Hello Ron! Thanks for your comment. What an intriguing idea! No, i haven't done this so far. Do you you have a meteorite by hand?😂

Just joking. I remember there are small meteorits on Ebay.  Meteorits contain iron mostly thus some conductivity can be expected. Really nice idea. Will follow it!

Actually I do have some.  If you want I can shave off a small piece from a 4 pound nantan china meteorite.

Do you live in in the US?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...